• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedo Gear trouble

*xj-man*

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished installing a 4 to 1 in np231 and I'm having some trouble alining the speedo gear. I guess I don't have it clocked to the right position, which is causing my computer to throw the code P0500. Any tips or suggestions that would put the speedo gear in the right position?

there should be numbers on the housing for how many teeth the speedo gear has and you turn the housing until the alignment mark is on the mark on the housing for the proper tooth count.

is your speedometer moving when you accelerate? if not, the gears may not be touching, if the speedo bounces, you may have the gears too deep and the gears may get worn off.

The tooth count is stamped right on the speedo gear, the plastic one on the end of the shaft (mine's green) The tooth count on mine is 34, yours may vary depending on your factory gearing setup. The aluminum flange that has the O-ring and installs in the hole has number groupings stamped in 3 or 4 locations around the rim, IIRC it's 28-31, 32-35, 36-39, etc. Each location with a number grouping is oriented at 4 opposite "compass points", i.e. 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock, 9 o'clock. After reading how many teeth your plastic gear has, install the aluminum flange with the number grouping that includes your gear teeth number at the bottom of the case hole (mine has a small cast bump there, indicating the line-up point). The aluminum flange also has detents around the ring that will match up with the thin steel "fingers" of the wishbone-shaped hold-down tab, the one that attaches with the single bolt. You can only install it in one of 3 or 4 positions and have these fingers slip into the detents.

Once you understand how it's supposed to go in, it should make perfect sense. Hope that helps.

It makes sense now. I was wondering whether or not the amount of teeth had something to do with the position. I have no speedometer what so ever, it doesn't move (but it used to prior 4 to 1). I suspect its in the wrong position, thanks for all the info.

Back