• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another hitch mounted tire carrier

CJJ_98_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
First off, I realize this isn't going to work for everyone. It sticks out a ways, combined with my already low aftermarket hitch. For me, it works though. For day trip rides, the spare will be in the back. But for camping trips where I need a bit of extra room, or expedition style trips where I also need more room, it fits the bill quite nicely, and rather cheap as well. I'm into this total about $40 including getting my a$$ raped for $16 for (2) 5/8" grade-8 bolts, and (2) 3/4" grade-5 bolts. Stupid small town price gouging!!!!! Steel was cheap as I bought a full 20' of the 2x2x3/16 tubing for some sliders which I will build later this summer. The 2-1/2x2-1/2x3/16 tubing was $19 at State Trailer Supply. Was cheaper that way than buying a full length of it. Plus it already had the holes in it, and was cut to the correct length I needed. Saved time fabricating.

Built the main extender. the 2x2x3/16 tube extends inside the 2-1/2x2-1/2x3/16 tube 1". It is welded around the outside joint, as well as a 3/4" plug weld on each of the (4) sides.
S5000823.jpg

sketch the side support plates and torch 'em out.
S5000824.jpg

The difficult part to see here is where I mocked it all up and tacked the vert post to the side plates. Did this so I could match drill all the holes together to make sure they all line up perfectly. Ended up needing to dremel them out a bit after final welding, but it was quite minimal.
S5000828.jpg

Next, cut the vert post to length. I had rough cut it previously, but it needed to be lowered a bit. Then I added the outer half of a Cherokee unit bearing. Didn't have a press to bust it apart, so out came the hot wrench again. Quick work, and it didn't mess up anything. Daughter thought it was cool picking up the ball bearings with the magnet too. Grind the proper miter on it, and weld it in place.
S5000831.jpg

Final assembly.
S5000832.jpg

With the tire mounted.
S5000833.jpg

Wobbled around more in the hitch than I would have been able to live with, so I remedied that with a 9/16" hole, a 1/2" nut, some weld, and a 1/2" bolt. Bolt is tapered almost to a point. This ensures I don't mushroom out the threads when I torque it down, thus preventing me from removing the bolt all the way if needed.
S5000834.jpg

Rear shot.
S5000838.jpg

All in all, about 3 hours into this project. Not pictured is the 3/16" x 6" x 12" plate I welded just below the tire on the vert member for the license plate. Will need to add a light, but simple enough to do that. I also welded a T-handle to the top bolt on the side plates, and welded it's corresponding nut to the opposite side plate. I also tack welded the hinge bolt to it's nut after I painted and final assembled it. Should help prevent the bolt from backing out being that it doesn't have a lot of torque on it so it will pivot smoothly.

Bring the hate.....:D

It looks good. Only one thing, I would try to run a pin in place of one of the bolts so you could get to the stuff you put back there.

I think you did a fantastic job. It turned out really well. It's funny, I kept reading through it pic by pic, spotting things I would change. In the next picture you applied the fix. For example, my first question was if it rattled. Next I was going to suggest that you weld on a plate mount below the tire. I wouldn't change a thing. Also, for a hitch mounted carrier, it hugs the hatch really well. Once again, nice fab work.

The only thing I'd change is your crappy universal hitch. If you have access to a pick 'n pull, you should be able to find a decent aftermarket/oem hitch for $40.

i have seen where someone else had something similar. he used a bracket and a set of bolts to put pressure on the hitch to help with rattleing and moving arround.

on another note, why not get a hitch that is actually made for an xj instead of a generic POC? can be found at may yards arround SLC for cheap.

Only one thing, I would try to run a pin in place of one of the bolts so you could get to the stuff you put back there.
I thought about a pin, but was afraid it would rattle too much. It really doesn't take much to undo that top bolt allowing the arm to swing down.

The only thing I'd change is your crappy universal hitch. If you have access to a pick 'n pull, you should be able to find a decent aftermarket/oem hitch for $40.
on another note, why not get a hitch that is actually made for an xj instead of a generic POC? can be found at may yards arround SLC for cheap.
This is the hitch that was on it when I bought it. I've been wanting to get something that isn't as low, but honestly haven't looked too hard. I'll probably swap it out some day.

R.O.T.F.L.M.A.O.
rolling on the floor laughing my ass off
You need bigger tires.
The carrier looks nice. Good job. Double thumbs up
The tires are 31's. Not everyone's cup of tea, but for the vast majority of wheeling I do (exploration), they suit me. It's mostly a cost issue though. I'm a simplistic type of guy. Run what I have until it's worn out, then upgrade.

Thanks for all the kind words. I'll try to snap a finished pic when the rain lets up so I can re-install it.

Looks good, but.

I'm still looking for someone to come up with one that rotates to the side and down, so the tire can be removed at ground level. Maybe even a motorized one...

I have a tilting boat trailer where rather then a pin, the nut is welded to the frame and the bolt has a large handle, so you don't need a wrench to undo it.
You could try that for your top bolt.

The tires are 31's. Not everyone's cup of tea, but for the vast majority of wheeling I do (exploration), they suit me. It's mostly a cost issue though. I'm a simplistic type of guy. Run what I have until it's worn out, then upgrade.

That's the most practical approach to any vehicle modification. Also, most of the vehicles that I've wheeled with are over built/lifted/sized for the trails that they run. I wasn't following the whole R.O.T.F.L.M.A.O. post. What's so funny?

Back