• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headliner Help

Any write ups on replacing the headliner or options for upgrades in that area like overhead counsels. I have a 95 if it matters.

Also my 95 does not appear to have floor lights or rear dome is that common? Best way to add another dome or flooring light?

Don't know about other years but my '93 had the wiring in place for both floor ("courtesy") lights and rear dome. Just a matter of getting the fixtures and installing. TeamCherokee.com has replacement rear latches with the switch to turn the rear dome on and off. They also have the OEM brackets for the floor lights but I'm not sure about the sockets for the bulbs (I had a set of those). If you don't find OEM somewhere, I assume you could rig something.

Probably a hundred threads about replacing the headliner, one within the past couple of weeks.

Do a search here in the enormous NAXJA archives-I have just finished such a search and am on my way this afternoon to one of our local fabric shops here in the Midwest with my XJ OEM headliner-I was advised earlier that they have something like the original material backing and various colored cloth in the dimensions that I need for my headliner-I'm told the price is reasonable also-
bxj

I had a 93 XJ with the simple crap dome light in the middle. At the junk yard I found a 99 with an overhead console and rear speaker bar as well as vanity visors. I took it all. I stripped the old fabric off and re-upholstered (spelling?). Was rather easy, just took a lot of time to make sure the 99's headliner was completely stripped of all the old fabric since it was still in good condition. i was carefull with the visors when I took the material off, so that way i could re-use it as a template for the new material. All in all it was a rather easy job. The hardest part of the whole deal was the wiring for the over head console. since I dont have an OBDII system, the only part that works is the compass and the temp guage (wich i made sure and took from the doner vehicle as well) the sound bar had a rear dome light in the middle of it, so that was a nice addition as well. For the floor lights, i just snagged some from another cherokee at the junk yard. You should have the existing wires to the plug at least, they are just very well tucked up and out of the way. usually wrapped in some foamy packing material and taped. All in all I ended up with a nicer headliner, a rear speaker bar and a crap load of extra lighting in the interior. the most expensive part was the glue and new headliner material so it would match my grey interior.

I realize this is kinda old, but anyone ever take the headliner off and spray the backing with herculiner or another truck bed liner? I think putting fabric back on it is just going to fall apart again.

I realize this is kinda old, but anyone ever take the headliner off and spray the backing with herculiner or another truck bed liner? I think putting fabric back on it is just going to fall apart again.

I think other posters on here have had good luck gluing indoor/outdoor carpeting up for a headliner.

I don't remember seeing a post on Herculiner.

Do a search, plenty of threads.

yea i saw the thread about the indoor/outdoor carpet. I did a bit of searching but couldn't find anything about herculining the headliner. One person said they were going to herculine the inside roof but didn't say how it turned out.

If you put the fabric back on correctly it should last for another ten years or so. Just got to make sure you got the right glue and use it properly. Although a herculined roof would be neat.

To get new fabric to adhere to the headliner, the trick is to remove ALL the old foam first. This it what actually breaks down. That's why trying to reglue the old material never works. Your just glueing dry rotted foam to dry rotted foam. A fine wire brush works good to scrape the headliner clean...Good Luck!!!

yeah, the Jeep headliner is garbage and I wasn't going to the trouble of replacing it only to have it fail again.
I removed mine, took a sample of the headliner material, got a paint to match and primered/painted it. It looks great and you can't tell it isn't fabric unless you touch it. Just make sure to use flat paint.

Back