• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Foam in the body

dagr8tim

NAXJA Forum User
Last weekend, I swapped out the rear carpet on my XJ for carpet I got from a newer XJ. When I had the back trim out, I noticed a black bag that seemed to contain a brick of foam. This bag was found on the passenger side down where the quarter panel goes down to meet the floor/unibody. This is below where the cut out is behind the rear tire.

IMG_0298_800x600.sized.jpg

Has anyone found anything similar?

I put some there myself. keeps water out of the area, should be ok.

That is the Federally Mandated floatation required for SUV's. It was discovered that the vehicle use failure modes (DFMEAS) included sinking. This was the most economical method to pass the one minute floatation required to let you get out of the vehicle before it sinks. Vehicles with a full size spare do not require it because the big spare tire gives the same floatation, but with the smaller spare, foam floatation is required. Some owners have exceeded this by adding blocks of styrofoam under their seats. Life jackets could also be stowed there like on aircraft.

Last weekend, I swapped out the rear carpet on my XJ for carpet I got from a newer XJ. When I had the back trim out, I noticed a black bag that seemed to contain a brick of foam. This bag was found on the passenger side down where the quarter panel goes down to meet the floor/unibody. This is below where the cut out is behind the rear tire.Has anyone found anything similar?

Found the same thing in my 2001 and figured it was for sound damping.

Must be in the newer models. I opened up my panel to build the subwoofer into the cubby hole, and it was empty. Pity ... I could use a flotation device ... I can't swim :(.

so maybe this is a factory thing?
Yes, its factory.

That is the Federally Mandated floatation required for SUV's. It was discovered that the vehicle use failure modes (DFMEAS) included sinking. This was the most economical method to pass the one minute floatation required to let you get out of the vehicle before it sinks. Vehicles with a full size spare do not require it because the big spare tire gives the same floatation, but with the smaller spare, foam floatation is required. Some owners have exceeded this by adding blocks of styrofoam under their seats. Life jackets could also be stowed there like on aircraft.

My '99 came with a full size spare and the foam, so I'm not sure where you got that.

Yes, its factory.

My '99 came with a full size spare and the foam, so I'm not sure where you got that.

(It was a joke!)

My 01 had it, too. I assumed it was for noise absorption, too. There should also be a piece of foam (not in a bag) in the front fenders, between the door and the plastic wheel-well guard.

Back