• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard shift

mishiojos

NAXJA Forum User
Have an 88 laredo been good to go until today. When I bought it I knew it needed u joint and new hub assembly (new bearings). When it first is put in drive I hear a clunk and reverse but goes away after some speed and chalked up to the ujoint.

Well today I had to be at an appointment I was late to so I drove a lil more aggressive then usual. I didn't drive crazy like over 80 mph and had to make a few quck stops but nothing abusive. After I went back to driving it normaly I notice when it changes gear it has some jerk to it and I can hear it change gears.

Could I get some feedback on what it could be. Is it possible the ujoint could cause an effect as such or am I looking at tranny problem. I haven't done the ujoints or bearings as of yet because of funds. All feedback is much appreciated.

Check your TV cable. Might have jiggled out of position, or just needs some adjusting. That's what mine was. If it's too far in, it's going to shift HARD. Feels nice if you're foot is on the floor, but for normal driving it sucks and is way too jerky. The farther in, the harder it shifts with less slippage. The farther out, the smoother the shift, with more slippage.

ok got the ujoints done and it quit shifting into drive and reverse with a loud clunk but it still shifts hard and going from 3rd to 4th seems a bit harder sometimes. I am gonna check out the TV cable then. It was good I got the ujoints changed the tech said when he pulled the shaft off the back one fell out. :p

Back