• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parts Interchange

dagr8tim

NAXJA Forum User
My local PnP doesn't see many 97+ XJ's, so I'm wondering if I can source 2 parts off of Grand Cherokee's or older XJ's.

I'm pretty sure I need the vacuum resolved that's in the front bumper. Part of my AC blows out the defrost, and my cruise doesn't engage.

The other part I need is the aux fan. My fan has a crack in the shroud. What bothers me is that the fan wires are spliced between the fan and the plug. I suspect that the fan was replaced before and the donor didn't have the right plug.

Any help if older XJ parts or Grand Cherokee parts will work would be great.

The vacuum reservoir tends to acquire holes, but you should check your vacuum lines first. Matter of fact, I'm not absolutely sure if the later xj still locates the reservoir behind the bumper. If it is it is better to relocate into the engine compartment.

You can use any 12v fan, but make sure it doesn't pull to many amps for the circuit--I think the Ford Tauras upgrade is popular, but search for details.

Don't worry about spliced wires--you can buy a male/female connector at Radio Shack, or simply get both a the salvage yard from the donor.

The vacuum reservoir tends to acquire holes, but you should check your vacuum lines first. Matter of fact, I'm not absolutely sure if the later xj still locates the reservoir behind the bumper. If it is it is better to relocate into the engine compartment.

You can use any 12v fan, but make sure it doesn't pull to many amps for the circuit--I think the Ford Tauras upgrade is popular, but search for details.

Don't worry about spliced wires--you can buy a male/female connector at Radio Shack, or simply get both a the salvage yard from the donor.

I already ran the vacuum line from the intake manifold to where it goes through the core support. I'm pretty sure that the reservoir is cracked.

As for the fan, I would just like to replace the aux fan with a jeep fan. I already have a Lincoln Mark VIII electric fan as the primary fan.

You can grab any vacuum reservoir off of any car or truck of a size that you can get to fit someplace on your rig. Again, recommend relocating it into the engine compartment.

Why don't you try to epoxy or grab some aluminum and rivets to fix that shroud, or is too far gone?

You can grab any vacuum reservoir off of any car or truck of a size that you can get to fit someplace on your rig. Again, recommend relocating it into the engine compartment.

Why don't you try to epoxy or grab some aluminum and rivets to fix that shroud, or is too far gone?

Thanks, I plan relocate it. Is there any benefit to getting a larger vacuum reservoir?

I'm hoping to hit the junk yard this weekend or next.

I keep asking my wife if size matters...

The original reservoir on my 1990 was the size of a softball, the replacement tank I bought from teamcherokee.com was probably twice that size and looks like a pill capsule.

You don't have D30 CAD axle, so you are pretty much needing vacuum for the heat/air conditioning and cruise control. I would say you don't need that big of a reservoir, unless you are towing heavy loads up hills a lot of the time. Manifold vacuum pretty much covers things until you get in heavy throttle situations.

I believe all year model aux fans will fit with no modification except a cut and splice for the plug on later models, which you may already have. The older fans are noisier and less efficient so most with older xjs opt for the newer fans (97+ ?) rather than the other way around. I'm sorry I didn't upgrade when I replaced the fan on my 93. I think the cost is roughly the same.

With limited options in the yards, I understand you may have to take what you find.

I will qualify "all years" slightly in that I don't personally know if model years through 90 are the same. Easy check would be to look up in teamcherokee.com or rockauto to confirm.

Back