• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tj d44 brakes on xj d44

dogsled1

NAXJA Forum User
So a guy gave me a set of rotors, calipers and backing plates from a TJ (maybe it was LJ, he said) d44. Has anybody ever used these to do a conversion on an xj d44?

I think the only thing I am missing would be the mounting brackets.

Any insight would be helpful.

Last edited:
i think the backing plates are different. but dont quote me on that. i dunno for sure.

What do you mean by backing plates, and caliper mounting brackets? Technically they are the same thing, the caliper bolts to the backing plate.

really? Maybe my terminology is wrong. What I'm calling a backing plate is thin metal (maybe just dust shield). Mounting brackets are the heavier arm part. I'll have to take another look at what I have.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/suspension/d44brake/bc-1.htm

On the ZJ setups that I have seen, (as in last two pictures link above) these are separate pieces. Dust shield (backing plate) and caliper mounting bracket.

My Explorer disc conversion:
DSC01585.jpg

Yeah the top is the dust shield, bottom is the backing plate. But if all you have is the rotors, calipers, and dust shields from a Wrangler, you might was well trash that idea and get a set of Explorer or Crown Vic rear discs. Calipers and rotors can be bought at an parts store, and the dust shield has no value to the kit, it will work the same with or with out it. The backing plate(or caliper mounting bracket as you call it) is the most important part. Trying to find a Wrangler in a JY is next to impossible, especially one with a D44 with discs, even then you will probably pay top dollar for them.

if you are at the junkyard, grab the calipers anyway, you get $ back for the core on the new ones. well worth it if it is a cheap JY

I wanted to go the explorer route, but the locals will not part out and axle and they want $350 - $500 for an 8.8 with discs. You can buy a kit for that kind of money. I have a complete ZJ setup with discs, will probably just go that route.

Back