• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Teraflex Shift Linkage Adapter Install Question

cher96

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone done a Teraflex TJ Wrangler Shift Linkage Adapter Install on a Pre 97 AW4 and a NP231 in an XJ? I did a Whole Bunch of Searches and found Nothing.

My U-Joint Blew and the Front Driveshaft totally wiped out my linkage and the Big Triangular Bracket between the TC and Trans is also damaged where the Pivot Hole is from the Linkage being knocked out. (I know... a run on sentence)

The old Linkage Shifted so badly that I want to Upgrade since I have to replace it.

Any Advice?

Any other choices?

Thanks.

Have you installed this setup? How is it working for you?

If anyone has installed the Tera Linkage.... Same questions.

Thanks.

That's my page. The Jeep isn't on the road yet, but I sit in the drivers seat and shift into 4-Lo quite often pretending it is. It shifts nice and smoothly.
biggrin.gif

Billy

Thanks Everyone.

So, I suppose No One has tried to adapt the Tera Linkage to an XJ.

Thanks Everyone.

So, I suppose No One has tried to adapt the Tera Linkage to an XJ.

Actually Tera and Novak have been developing some 231 stuff together, it might be the same part. Use the Novak piece... you can't go wrong with their stuff.

Called TeraFlex Tech and they said that they do not advertise it fitting an XJ because not all XJ Transmissions and TCs are alike, however, the Linkage may need extending depending on your setup. There are XJs with their Setup Installed.

Not Definitive at all.

Please, has anyone Installed this with their AW4 and NP231?

Thanks.

Called TeraFlex Tech and they said that they do not advertise it fitting an XJ because not all XJ Transmissions and TCs are alike, however, the Linkage may need extending depending on your setup. There are XJs with their Setup Installed.

Not Definitive at all.

Please, has anyone Installed this with their AW4 and NP231?

Thanks.

It's probably because Wranglers never came with a 242, right?
Billy

It's probably because Wranglers never came with a 242, right?
Billy

This Linkage is produced for a NP231 with an AW4 in an Wrangler.

What differences are there between a Wrangler with the same AW4 and NP231 than that of an XJ?

Honestly, I do not know as I never had a Wrangler.

This Linkage is produced for a NP231 with an AW4 in an Wrangler.

What differences are there between a Wrangler with the same AW4 and NP231 than that of an XJ?

Honestly, I do not know as I never had a Wrangler.

I just realized, and I don't know what years it would apply to, but I found a YJ in the junkyard and it's 231 shift arm was pointing up, instead of down (like on the XJ). That might be pretty crucial.
Billy

I just realized, and I don't know what years it would apply to, but I found a YJ in the junkyard and it's 231 shift arm was pointing up, instead of down (like on the XJ). That might be pretty crucial.
Billy

I see your point. Thank you.

It's just the the Tera is $100 or more cheaper than the Novak and according to our Local 4x4 Shop the Tera is a lot more stronger than the Novak and is supposed to have cleaner Shifts.

I do not know what to do since I have a limited budget.

I see your point. Thank you.

It's just the the Tera is $100 or more cheaper than the Novak and according to our Local 4x4 Shop the Tera is a lot more stronger than the Novak and is supposed to have cleaner Shifts.

I do not know what to do since I have a limited budget.

So was I! More time than money. About 8 hours (including tracking down parts) and $30 in parts (including the $20 TJ shifter I really didn't need) later...
dunno.gif

Billy

So was I! More time than money. About 8 hours (including tracking down parts) and $30 in parts (including the $20 TJ shifter I really didn't need) later...
dunno.gif

Billy

Thanks Billy... I appreciate that. I will go with the Novak then.

Thank you.

I'm still wondering if anyone has had a positive installation of this product on an XJ.

Installed the Novak Shifter and it shifts smoothly with absolutely no grinding.
They sent the old Instructions and had to have them Email me the new ones.
Had to Spot Weld the Shifter Cane to the Bracket so it wouldn't turn on me.
I love it. A great improvement over the Stock Shift Linkage.

Back