• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Set Up

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000xj with a 5.5 Re lift but still running the stock pitman arm. Do i need a drop? If so what all goes into installing one? Should i go with this one from RE RE2500 ?

You definately dont need/want a drop pitman arm.I run the same lift(but long arm) on both my 2000 and my 95.What you should consider is the Currie steering set-up.

Yes you should invest in a drop pitman arm, 1" will do. There are a few options out there, I went with a BDS that I pickup from ebay. A 1" drop will bring your steering down to match the drop trackbar bracket and lessen the TRE angles. I would look at Curries set-up, Rockkrawlers's or Northern4x4 (I think) as far as a decent priced steering option goes. I still have the stock drag link beefed up with Poison Spyder stuff and a rusty's tie-rod. Though a buddy had a bunch of passenger side knuckle brackets lying around, RK and MORE's, so he gave me the RK bracket and over the winter I am going to fab up my own version of a cross-over style steering system.

CartsXJ said:
A 1" drop will bring your steering down to match the drop trackbar bracket and lessen the TRE angles.
A drop pitman arm may lessen the drag link angle but thats it.It "will" cause bumpsteer since the RE Bracket "IS NOT" a drop bracket,it locates the frame end joint "EXACTLY" where the stock TRE was.

RCP Phx said:
A drop pitman arm may lessen the drag link angle but thats it.It "will" cause bumpsteer since the RE Bracket "IS NOT" a drop bracket,it locates the frame end joint "EXACTLY" where the stock TRE was.

Huh, well as they say every XJ is different. On my 98, I had to put one on to take away the bump steer.

Back