• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Evaporator replacement prices

hitchhiker

NAXJA Forum User
Holy damn batman. I thought the economy was bad but I was just quoted $1500-1600 to replace a bad evaporator and the accumulator in my 2000.

The dealer offered $1370 and another AC shop quoted about 1100.

Man I really don't want to take my dash apart but wth :wow:

Do you have a Community College with an automotive program nearby?

Most will do jobs, when they have that type of class going, for cost of parts and a small additional fee.

You should convert to the 265 system.

2 windows down, 65 mph!

Shouldn't be too much to have a shop evacuate the system for you. You can then open the system without worrying about releasing refrigerant. Replace the parts, then have the shop put a vacuum on it again to make sure it's not leaking. Get a refill kit w/gauges and fill it back up. Enjoy the cold.

Yeah, I'm in process. I've partial disasembled the dash, going to try to take the heater box out without completely disconnecting everything else to save a bit of time.

Just waiting for my parts to arrive before I can take it any further, I ended up ordering from jeepair. Decided to spend some time cleaning and running wires for other electronics while I have the dash all ripped apart.

Nothing to evacuate at the moment, the system is empty from the leak already so I'll try to get it all installed, buttoned up and then take it in for the leak check and refill.

Is it worth it to invest in a vacuum pump to do the leak test and AC work myself? Would a vacuum pump be useful long term to have around for things other then AC repair?

Anyone got a model they recommend for a cheap home unit?

I got my pump and gage set from Harbor Freight. They are plenty good enough. I got the pump that works off of your own air compressor, but I see they have a regular pump now that is probably better. (But the one I got does work good enough.)

Holy damn batman. I thought the economy was bad but I was just quoted $1500-1600 to replace a bad evaporator and the accumulator in my 2000.

The dealer offered $1370 and another AC shop quoted about 1100.

Man I really don't want to take my dash apart but wth :wow:
950 buck in southeastern MI at the dealer.

yeah I just paid about $1k to have my heater core and evaporator replaced. got the jeep back, put 200 miles on it and broke a valve spring....fml

The shop is going to do this tomorrow. Should i tell them to replace the heater core while they have the steering column and instrument panel off? They are part of the same unit somehow right? For 950 they were only going to do my evaporator sounds like you got a good deal.

Did mine in about 2.5 hours and took it to the ac shop had it recharged.Had $200 in the complete job.If it goes again it can be replaced in about 45 min or less.Used this guys instructions as a guide.Its funny but his $200 estimate was right on with what I had in mine.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/653235/2

Last edited:
Yeah but you probably have all the special tools. The more i think about it i feel like my shop is trying to reach into my pocket book. They say there is a leak at the evaporator. The AC will work for 20 min then not work (Compressor stops engaging) and then later comes back on ICE cold. How can you have a leak yet still have charge and cold air.

Back