• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1986 2.5 liter engine problems

Short Bus

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if anyone could offer a little bit of advice on some problems I'm having with my XJ? I picked up this XJ that will kind of run when it wants too. I can crank the engine for what seems about 30 sec and it will finally start. This is where the problem lies. :explosion The Jeep orginally would idle after babysitting it and the throttle for about 10 min. Now it won't even hold an idle. I can get it to run, but it really seems to hesitate when you give it gas. When I did have it idling it would run somewhat ruff and it was able to rev up without problems. When I would go for a test drive the Jeep has no throttle responce and hesitates and bogs down really bad.
I replaced the fuel filter, plugs, distributor, rotor and plug wires. I've checked the CPS, vaccum lines, TPS, fuel rail without luck. It appears the previous owner had replaced several of the sensors on the emsions and fuel side. I have read many of the artiles on TBI, and so forth but yet to have any luck finding the problem. I'm open for any ideas...

Back