• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help a newbie out

trgft83

NAXJA Forum User
hi all,
I've on this and jeepforum for a while and finally ready to build my XJ.
I have a 98 XJ however it looks like the pre-97 compare to the US spec.
far as I know, it has 4.0 I6, came with no cat and possible 3 inch lift with EMU shocks. I've had the car since new and its been sitting untouched for years until now I want to rebuild it. Its hard to choose where to start and what part to pick due to the condition of the car and the amount of the aftermarket parts.

I need you guys point me a direction:
1. what kind stuff do I have now (axles, engine etc.)
2. what kind of part to choose.
3. and everything else you like to advise me.

I dont have any issues with laws and restrictions, so I can build it in anyway.
I'm interested in T&T customs 7.5in lift, how do you compare it with REs and other brands similar product. what other things are needed to go with the lift kit?

Thanks in advance!

pictures:

IMG_5980.jpg

IMG_5977.jpg

IMG_5975.jpg

IMG_5974.jpg

IMG_5969.jpg

IMG_5965.jpg

IMG_5967.jpg

Motor: 4.0
Transmission: AX15
Transfer case: NP231
Rear Axle: 8.25
Front Axle: D30
Other Stuff: Front skid and Transfer case skid

I would go for a clayton's kit or a rock krawler kit. One of my buddies has the TNT y-link and the geometry is not quite right. Every time he flexes both of the upper control arm bushings at the axle get ruined.

Fix your exhaust, you're going to lose some power without some kind of cat or muffler or even a tailpipe. The 4.0 likes some back pressure so throw a muffler and a tailpipe in there or something like that.

Just my .02

Motor: 4.0
Transmission: AX15
Transfer case: NP231
Rear Axle: 8.25
Front Axle: D30
Other Stuff: Front skid and Transfer case skid

I would go for a clayton's kit or a rock krawler kit. One of my buddies has the TNT y-link and the geometry is not quite right. Every time he flexes both of the upper control arm bushings at the axle get ruined.

Fix your exhaust, you're going to lose some power without some kind of cat or muffler or even a tailpipe. The 4.0 likes some back pressure so throw a muffler and a tailpipe in there or something like that.

Just my .02

Thanks.
I was supprised when I found out that it came w/o cat. Is it a 4.0 HO or not? how can I find out? How do you like the RE 6.5 long arm kit?

I am confused...how exactly is that considered a 98? Maybe I'm stupid or somethin but like you say it looks like a pre 97. not sure how it can be a 98?

I am confused...how exactly is that considered a 98? Maybe I'm stupid or somethin but like you say it looks like a pre 97. not sure how it can be a 98?

it is a beijing chrysler build model year 98 called limited edition SuperXJ.

_DSC7703.jpg

And it looks like you have some factory front tow hooks as well.

Got a better pic of the gas tank? Can't tell if it's just the rubber shield or a factory skid...

I'd stay away from the radius arm designs for long arm kits. You'll be replacing the rubber bushings pretty quickly. I have the TNT and wouldn't buy it again.

I'd look into the BDS, Full Traction, Poly Performance, and Rock Krawler long arm kits. You can mix and match your own choice of springs and shocks, and just buy the long arm upgrade for the front if you want.

And it looks like you have some factory front tow hooks as well.
Got a better pic of the gas tank? Can't tell if it's just the rubber shield or a factory skid...
I checked under ours. It has the factory rear skid along with the front and T.C. skids. I bet it has a rear tow hook also.

Interesting mix of new and old parts. No air bag, very few vacuum lines, no factory clock next to the radio. I don't see much "newer" except maybe the 8.25 rear end.

Where are you located? "DC" in the U.S. often stands for Washington D.C.

And, Welcome to NAXJA!

thanks for the inputs. I dont have a better picture of the gas tank now, I'll take one next time. as I can remember it is not rubber shield.
can you post a link to a web that sales Rock Krawler kit?

how is the 8.25? pros/cons?

I do live in washington DC mostly but I have the car in China.

I've searched all of the brands you guys listed. lift range from 6in to 8in,price goes from 2000 to 3000, and all claim themselves the best of all.
so are they the same things with different looks or really different quality stuff?
which brand is that "you can't go wrong with it"?

I've searched all of the brands you guys listed. lift range from 6in to 8in,price goes from 2000 to 3000, and all claim themselves the best of all.
so are they the same things with different looks or really different quality stuff?
which brand is that "you can't go wrong with it"?

Rock Krawler... No question about it!

Reasonably Priced and Unbreakable as far as I know.

I could give you some good direction if you tell me what kind of wheeling you plan to do. You have a good start with a rig that is equipped with some good parts already. What tire size do you want to run? Do you want go fast (jeepspeed) capability? Do you plan to put aftermarket bumpers (heavy) on? Are you gonna put a cage in it later on?

Back