• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix Pics

1985xjlaredo

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I need a detailed (high quality) picture of a Complete and Original Renix engine bay. Several would be nice but one would be a grad start. Even better would be to hook up with a Renix owner for a day and look at the engine compartment. The PO of this XJ had no idea what the hell he was doing. I ihave lots of vacuum hose just kinda laying there. Orfacies on the intake manifold have no hoses on them, but are pluged for the moment. Any help would be great. If anyone has some good pics PM me or get ahold of me!

here's the diagram for the vac lines. If you need pics, let me know..

The vac fitting at the rear of the manifold is the "supply" for the heater control and cruise control. It goes to the vac reservoir behind the front bumper.

vacuumko6.jpg

Spring cleaning today.

Here's my 90 with some modification, but all the lines are where they're supposed to be. Runs like a champ.

100_0691.jpg

Converted to open cooling, 16# no lever cap.

100_0703.jpg

CCV to front of intake manifold.

100_0705.jpg

Fuel Pressure regulator to front of manifold, next to CCV, the CCV has the rubber elbow, the FP regulator hose is the one on the left.

100_0704.jpg

100_0693.jpg

The fat hose goes from the intake manifold to the vac reservoir. The small hose goes to the from the MAP sensor to the Throttle body (rubber plug, and it looks like there are 2 ports in the rubber plug but on is a dummy hole or a centering tab)

100_0694.jpg

The Spaghetti nest is a pre fit junction box for vac hoses. On the left fat hose comes from the valve cover and continues on through to the air intake. The two small hoses come from the same port in the intake manifold as the FP regulator, after the "nest" one is plugged (used to go the stock airbox) and the other goes to the EGR(?).

100_0696.jpg

I relocated the vac canister to the firewall where the pressure bottle used to be when I upgraded the front bumper. You can see the pink hose to the Heater Control Valve (this is a post 91 valve, remember I converted). The fat hose goes to the Cruise Servo. The smaller hoses supply the HVAC etc. Then some of those lines go into a steel line manifold to the Transfer case (I think).

100_0700.jpg

The A/C was converted to R134a by the PO (my dad).

100_0702.jpg

The little blue thing in the lower corner is a vent for the TC or Trans (again, I think)

100_0701.jpg

I put a air bleeder in the t-stat housing after the conversion too. Since the Coolant temp sensor (that tells the computer what to do) is in the block under the exhaust manifold.

100_0698.jpg

The temp switch that turns on the fan was deleted when I switched out the new radiator (no bung for it) and I just wired the switch manually in the cab. Here's a pic of the temp switch for the fan.

OLDTEMP-1.jpg

This article is indispensible if you have a RENIX. It's helped me out more than once.

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/Basic_Sensors_Diagnostics.htm

Good Luck!!

Last edited:
wow great pics just what I needed. NAXJA rocks! I should be able to figure out everything with those pics. Now I just need to find the time to rip out everything and start fresh. If I have any questions I will post up some pics of exactly what I need. Thanks Again!

Nice engine bay Paradise!

I went the other way and eliminated a lot of the factory connections where I could. Everything is hooked up (well except for one thing we wont talk about here!) but don't use mine as an example if you are staying stock.

P1010506.jpg

Well I wont be keeping it exactly stock. I did a Renix blow by fix a couple years ago. I searched all the threads I had started but no luck. It had a few good pics and a good write up on fixing the blow by. I wonder what happened to it I see that you did the Quadratec valve cover swap xjtrailrider. I did the same on mine only I used Mr gasket air breathers on the PVC orifice to eliminate any vacuum going to the air box. Thanks for the pic :)

couple pics of my "slightly" modified Renix.....I swapped in a 97 valve cover as a blowby fix and eliminated almost all the vaccuum spaghetti and EGR plumbing. The only vac I'm running is for the brake booster, vac canister, MAP, fuel pressure regulator, and the line from the valve cover to the TB. Runs like I stole it :)

Jeff

31LTs014.jpg

31LTs015.jpg

So did you remove the EGR valve also?

no, physically the valve and the tube are still there, but nothing is connected to the valve itself. I capped the nipple on it and it's shut, so it's not doing anything. Maybe one day I'll make a blockoff plate for the manifold and pull it, but for now it's just a willing passenger.

No emissions inspection in VA, so I have no worries there. YMMV.

Jeff

I just stumbled across this thread with all of these pics. Thanks. I've been looking for pics for a while for my 89XJ since the previous owner did a little creative plumbing under the hood and I have a lot of oil getting into the airbox currently.

So did you remove the EGR valve also?

My EGR valve is there but I have a "test plate" between it and the manifold. Its been a couple of years of trying to diagnose any issues with the EGR :eyes:

I don't condone removing emissions equipment but I'm with Jon (5-90) on what the thing does to clog up your intake. Everything else is 100% smog legal, putting the EGR back in running condition is a 5 min job.

Jeff, I like your set up too, looks great!

Thanks for the pics guys Ill get started on the vacuum this weekend. I am amazed that the vents, 4x4 disco axle, and the engine all work as well as they do with the condition that the vacuum hoses are in :)

Back