• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ Clutch Problems -Throwout Bearing- Please Help

poorman

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep seems to be eating clutches, more specifically eating throwout bearings. I've had a shop replace my clutch at about 100k miles, replace it again about a year later, and now a bit over another year later i'm having problems again, since that shop is closed down now i'm on my own. (only the first clutch at 100k was worn out, others never lost any function, just bad bearings)

fyi-yes i am suspicious of the shop

Description of problem: there is wurbling (is that a word?) chatter when the clutch is depressed (pedal down, everything is dandy when in gear and cruising), this condition was previously diagnosed as a bad throwout bearing and replaced with a clutch kit.

1. First of all, How can a car that otherwise works fine keep eating throwout bearings like this? Do you think the shop was just selling me crap parts? do they make parts that crappy? or do i have a bigger problem? (keep in mind after each replacement things were great but only for about a year to 18 months normal driving.)

2. Second, since i'm 99% sure that my clutch itself is still OK (been driving manual forever, and this jeep is the only problem I've ever had). This time around i'm thinking about replacing just the throwout bearing myself (~$50 part vs >$600 clutch kit and installation). I have hand tools and i myself am pretty capable mechanically, however i do not have a proper garage, so is this operation feasible or should i not even attempt? Anyone have a walk-through handy?

Simply put times are tough, I really cannot afford the 600+ new clutch kit/installation just for the $50 bearing.

I'd like to get this worked out ASAP because i do rely on my vehicle

Thank you,

well, i replaced the internal slave on my 89 in my driveway last march, so i think its very doable.

i have found that there are different terms used for different parts. so, what does the throwout bearing on your 98 do and where is it located. on my 89, the internal slave is also called the throwout bearing.

Cheap parts = shoddy parts. Demand quality parts, but you have to be ready to pay for quality.

That said, premature TO bearing failure:

1. Operator error--riding the clutch. Since you are not a manual newbie that is not the problem.

2. Having too much fun--do you offroad alot?

3. Improper clutch assembly--too many ham fisted, shade-tree mechanics out there warp the clutch cover when installing it.

Simple trick: use a tapered reamer to barely open up the locating pin holes, so that the cover slips on without binding.

Simple trick 2: use 1/4 socket and hand ratchet to tighten down the mounting bolts, tighten each bolt just a little at a time in a pattern just like you would torque wheel nuts.

4. Check for excessive movement in the transmission input shaft.

just did the flywheel and clutch kit on my 95 ax15. Not to bad, pretty straight forward...just take your time and do it right the first time because after putting it all back together the last thing you want to do is have to take it apart again because of something minor.

Back