• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question for those who've converted to 1-piece D30 shafts

BruceB83

NAXJA Forum User
Saturday, I swapped out my old disconnect style shafts in favor of the 1-piece with 760 u-joints. I just stumbled across this article and it says you have two seals on the passenger side...one at the diff and one to the outside of the vacuum housing. I removed the old two seals and installed the 471763 seal at the differential but nothing near the vacuum housing. Is this needed? The only thing that was there before was a roller bearing that didn't appear to actually seal anything. I figured it was just there because of the two-piece setup. I don't remember ever reading anything about this until now, of course right after I do the swap.

Do I need the other seal on the passenger side? Anyone else only running the one seal?

TIA

Bruce, I have ran one seal for a while and got by "OK" but when I replaced it a few weeks back it started leaking and I wished I had the second seal in there. On my "to-do" list is to replace with both new seals now. What sucks is I really did not need to replace the seal, but I was rebuilding my front diff and thought what the hell, while I was in the diff why not...and now it leaks....

I am going to install the second seal in the diff where the vac housing is as well as install a set of axle tube seals. I hate rebuilding the front end on this rig and hopefully this will be the last time for a while.

If nothing else, that second seal helps guide the axle shaft in so you don't damage the inner seal. Most inner axle seals come with that tapered lip to guide the shaft so it installs with less chance of damaging the seal. When you convert to the one peice axle, that seal you use doesn't have the lip...IIRC. I have one of those seals laying around, and it's got no lip.

I guess what I'm trying to understand is how one seal on the passenger side is different from one seal on the drivers side? Is it just so water/mud doesn't run all the way down the tubes since it's a longer distance on that side?

If I add the 2nd seal do I just buy the standard seal for the passenger side? If it's not necessary, it will be a while before I do so...I just got the Jeep back ready to wheel again and I'm sick of opening diff covers and pulling carriers!!!

When I deleted my disconnect, I just used the one seal on the diff side of the vacuum housing, works fine.

I guess what I'm trying to understand is how one seal on the passenger side is different from one seal on the drivers side? Is it just so water/mud doesn't run all the way down the tubes since it's a longer distance on that side?

If I add the 2nd seal do I just buy the standard seal for the passenger side? If it's not necessary, it will be a while before I do so...I just got the Jeep ready to wheel and I'm sick of opening diff covers and pulling carriers!!!

the second seal is not needed unless the first seal(in the diffhousing) is not doing its job. it is to keep the gear oil in the housing. if you do alot of water crossing, then look into axle tube oil seals to keep water out of the tubes and possibly into the diff housing

here is an example i got from a quick google search

http://www.4x4xplor.com/alloyusa-axleseals.html

When I deleted my disconnect, I just used the one seal on the diff side of the vacuum housing, works fine.

so you have diff fluid in the axle tube down to the vacuum housing? i guess that would work, you just need to add enough gear oil.

so you have diff fluid in the axle tube down to the vacuum housing? i guess that would work, you just need to add enough gear oil.

That wouldn't work for me...I have the SOLID diff cover and the fill plug is above the tubes. I'd need an extra 3 pints of fluid!!! Yikes!

the second seal is not needed unless the first seal(in the diffhousing) is not doing its job. it is to keep the gear oil in the housing. if you do alot of water crossing, then look into axle tube oil seals to keep water out of the tubes and possibly into the diff housing

here is an example i got from a quick google search

http://www.4x4xplor.com/alloyusa-axleseals.html

Yeah I've seen those. I guess $75 isn't too bad for insurance against getting water/mud in your differential housing....easy to install too.

I might try and pick some of those up.

Yeah I've seen those. I guess $75 isn't too bad for insurance against getting water/mud in your differential housing....easy to install too.

I might try and pick some of those up.

did you have water or anthing in the vacuum housing when you did the axle swap? if you didnt, then you should be alright.

after rereading, you would have had gear oil in the tube when it was a 2 piece shaft anyway.

as for the seals, i dont see the difference between having the inner seal at the diff housing or the seal at the vacuum housing??? all that needs to be done is to keep gear oil in the diff housing, or am i missing something?

Not a big issue, fill it till it's full.

Anyone else only running the one seal?

Every single XJ that came with one piece axles runs that setup, and without problems I might add. That's a lot of Jeeps. The only thing you are doing by installing the seal at the diff and deleting everything else is changing the housing to a one piece housing.

The shift motor cover will make a nice clean out area for water/mud. Infact, since it is a low spot, you may want to put a drain hole in it.

As far as the axle tube seals, I have heard mixed reviews. Some people like, some people no-like. I've never run one, and have never had a problem with the front diff sucking in water, and I've done some deep crossings.

Every single XJ that came with one piece axles runs that setup, and without problems I might add. That's a lot of Jeeps. The only thing you are doing by installing the seal at the diff and deleting everything else is changing the housing to a one piece housing. Yeah, what got me wondering was seeing a few conversion kits that included two seals.

The shift motor cover will make a nice clean out area for water/mud. Infact, since it is a low spot, you may want to put a drain hole in it. I thought about that...I could drill and tap it. The only concern would be if the plug snagged a rock and snapped it off. I'm sure I could find a bolt that would work well though.

As far as the axle tube seals, I have heard mixed reviews. Some people like, some people no-like. I've never run one, and have never had a problem with the front diff sucking in water, and I've done some deep crossings. I've also heard mixed reviews...at this time I can't remember what the downsides were though. I haven't ever had problems either. I'll probably run how it is for now...if I have water in the diff problems then I'll look at the seals.

Back