• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trans not shifting when towing

latenights

NAXJA Forum User
This weekend me and a couple of my friends went down to south jersey to ride our dirt bikes. i had a 3 bike trailor and 3 bikes (about 600 lbs for the bike and its a pretty light trailer not sure on the weight though). the trip was about 50 miles there and no problems. on the way back after about 20 miles sometimes the trans would just not shift until i took my foot off of the pedal. Its not cause i was flooring it to accelerate but just normal acceleration it started reving up to over 4grand before i took my foot off the pedal seeing if it would actually shift. its a 96 xj auto with 165xxx miles on it. does anybody have any ideas?

Does it shift fine now without the trailer? Check the fluid level and color. It should be red and not smell burnt.

yeah its fine now without the trailer on it. ill check the level and color and see how it is.

Make sure it is fully warmed up and cycle through the gears before you check the level, I think its 20 minutes or so.

Have you ever towed that trailer before? Any chance somehow the trailers wiring is connected to the problem? Kind of strange to have that issue with such a light load and then have the problem disappear when the trailer is unattached. Weird though that you didn't have the problem going out to the riding area.

Back