• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yukon Gear--pinion marking

markaboo929

NAXJA Forum User
OK so when you have a gear set the pinion gear will have a marking on the gear face having either like +2 or -1 or some simmular marking on it to tell what optimum gear placement the manufacturer has determined.On the yukon set there is no marking like "+" or "-" it just some other marking.How do you tell what to add or subtract from the nominal shim size on a Dana 44 which is .042" other than contacting yukon as to what their marking represent?:dunno:
I work at a GM dealer as a tech so I am used to using the factory markings to correctly install gears the FIRST time,with little adjustments
IF needed after gear pattern check,or just do it by pattern contact the old fasion way.I just don't like to press off and on still a
pita even with the correct tools.

wow! have you heard of set up bearings? that would eliminate the need to (and chance of damaging from) pressing the bearings on/off repeatedly. as a tech you should also know a good place to start is with the same size shims as before and go from there. these are not parts that are going on via assembly line, and thus are not mfg, packaged, and prepped like they are. many here have done gears without issues

Back