• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HID conversion gone wrong (pics inside)

jonathanc

NAXJA Forum User
So I upgraded my headlight wiring harness a few weeks back, hoping to improve my headlights. Lowbeams weren't good, and neither were the highbeams.

After the harness install, the low beams were still crap, but the highbeams worked well.

I was originally going to get some e-code housings and some brighter bulbs, but a friend of mine imports HID kits, so I grabbed a kit off him. He also had projector housing which I was under the impression were for HID lights. WRONG. WRONG.

2809_97536076549_647681549_2941534_4948849_n.jpg

2809_97536086549_647681549_2941536_7565536_n.jpg

2809_97536106549_647681549_2941539_1711459_n.jpg

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

I drove home from work like that last night. This will not stand. Do you think e-code housings would correct this ? For now I'm going to aim them downward, but the spread from these lights is horrible. I'm also thinking of sticking on some electrical tape on the housings, to create some eyelids as a temporary fix.

Ideas ?

wtf POS HID kit is that? a REAL HID kit will run you a couple hundred bucks, and they dont need to be 'imported' and all that jazz. i'm more than satisfied with my ching chong harness with GE HO sealed beams. if the jeep was still my DD i'd get e-code housings and osrams. (the osrams are very nice on my subie btw).

Unless you're buying some sort of Made in America whoopty do HID kit, chances are it has been imported from somewhere. My friend imports them to my country. The kit costed me $75 us dollars. The HID kit is just the wiring, ballasts and bulbs, no housing. So I picked a housing that I figured would limit the spread of light and focus it on the road.

Ok... lots' of misinformation in this thread... An HID kit will NOT run you hundreds of dollars.

Your HID kit is most likely fine, if they're still H4 bulbs, go ahead and get some e-code or dot housings and put them in those housings, it'll fix your problem. Your problem is just a result of cheap, crappy "projector's"

What crazyjim said. If the HID bulbs are on an H4 bulb base, then just get a good set of e-code housings. Only one company that I know of makes a real projector housing for the XJ, but they are $500/ea.

Those pics with the HID, is that the high or low beams?

What crazyjim said. If the HID bulbs are on an H4 bulb base, then just get a good set of e-code housings. Only one company that I know of makes a real projector housing for the XJ, but they are $500/ea.

Those pics with the HID, is that the high or low beams?

That is low beams. The high beams are just normal halogens, and they allows seem dimmer than the low beams with this pattern.

thanks for the input. I'm going to get some e-code h4 housings and aim them properly.

Ok... lots' of misinformation in this thread... An HID kit will NOT run you hundreds of dollars.

Your HID kit is most likely fine, if they're still H4 bulbs, go ahead and get some e-code or dot housings and put them in those housings, it'll fix your problem. Your problem is just a result of cheap, crappy "projector's"

So you're saying that an H4 bulb is "HID" ?

Yeah Jim's advice seems correct order you some Autopal's off of ebay. Mine are quite a bit brighter than stock and i haven't upgraded my harness yet!

I would like to see a picture of the bulb. I would also like to know what HID brand you're using. Based on those pictures I'm guessing your kit has some poorly made bulbs (usually resulting in glare), and that they lack proper shielding (resulting in light all over the place). Unless you're running some freakish brand of 6054 headlight I never heard-of than I doubt different headlights will fix your problem. There's a reason oem HIDs are contained in projectors... it's much-much harder to do a proper set-up with reflectors.

Good set-ups cost a good amount of money. Go ahead... ask me how I know.

Talk about misinformation. What projectors?
These are HID projectors. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=940046
XP6054-02.jpg

XP6054-03.jpg

Talk about misinformation. What projectors?

Jim should have used the term "reflector" Not projectors, and that it just throws a crappy pattern. Most of the H4 housings are one piece. It's both the reflector and the housing.

Jim should have used the term "reflector" Not projectors, and that it just throws a crappy pattern. Most of the H4 housings are one piece. It's both the reflector and the housing.

He said projector, because the OP mentioned getting "projector housings" in the first post. It would be nice to know exactly what they are however.

There are only two kits known to man that are an actual HID DOT approved kit. All you kids running HIDs bulbs in your IPF or whatever lenses are running HIDs in a lens DOT approved for Halogen bulbs. You can rant and rave all you want about how nice it looks. But the spread is shit compared to the real thing and you are half blinding people.

Sylvania Xenarcs, modified housing for HID bulbs (something NONE of the other aftermarket housings are setup for)

Night.jpg

And you've already seen Urban's Projector kit.

Back