• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cluster swap trouble

nstyfox

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys im new to the whole jeep thing. I've bin a ford man but converted. Having trouble with this stupid cluster swap(tach ect in favor of the idiot lights). What are the part #'s of the coolant and oil sender units i need and where is the coolant temp sensor? I got the coolant temp sensor and couldnt find anything in the back next to the valve cover that resembled it so maybe they gave me the wrong one. Maybe im not looking good enough or im just stupid.

thanks
Jim

It may be that you are installing a coolant temp sensor to replace a coolant temp switch. The difference is that the new gauges need a sender that sends a temp reading to the gauge whereas the old one is only a switch that completes the circuit at a certain temp. A temp sender needs to be larger than a temp switch. Aslo, I dont know what year you have but on my '92 there is a temp switch near the back drivers side on top of the head and also one on the thermostat housing.

do you have the part #'s by any chance the coolant sender pep boys gave me doesn't look like anything i have towards the back of the valve cover.

For BWD (Borg Warner) available at various parts houses, you can look up the numbers on the BWD site - bwdbrand.com, I believe.

For the '91, WT761 for the coolant temp sender to the gauge (sender in the left rear of the head) and S4132 for the oil pressure sender to the gauge. You might double check these.

What year, what engine.

Different years on the 4.0 the temp gauge sender is either on the DS back of the head or its located in the Tstat housing.

The CTS for the ECU is on the front. The one for gauges is in the rear.
There are quite a few threads on this topic. If you SEARCH, it might help.

Back