• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

warm days = no doors (question...)

VAhasnoWAVES

NAXJA Forum User
so this weekend through some of next week is going to be the first good warm spell (more like hot spell) of spring and i want to remove my doors.

97 4 door
power windows (no other power accesories)
speakers

every write up ive seen has been late model cherokees... is the process the same with 97+ xjs? my biggest dilema is the wires through the door, what do i need to do with them so im able to put everything back together when the weather turns again?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444398&highlight=doorless

This has a better write up on what to do with the hinges.

I just did this mod this week and it was pretty straight forward.

For the wires, I picked up some multi pin connectirs from radio shack. http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032286 I got a 12 and a 9 pin for each side. I moved the connections so they can tuck inside the door. Should make it a lot easier for taking them on and off as needed. Plus, you don't have to take off the kick panels or dig around up under the dash to remove things. I'll try and get some pics up in the next day or so...

I was under the impression that the new hinges began in '97. If you've got the older "solid looking" hinges, it's easier! Just chop the lower part off and shorten the pin a bit. You will need to tap/ press the passenger side pin out and turn it over as the same hinge is used on both sides and it's upside down on the right hand side.

I'm still pulling the kick panel and unplugging for now, but new plugs are in the near future.

where in Norfolk are ya?

they did... with 97 being the crossover year i guess mine like a few others ive stumbled upon came with the older style ones. i was stoked once i saw the older style hinges though.

im in the 5 points area just off of cheasapeake ave, before you hit cromwell.

I see no reason why not-- the door size and shape remained constant IIRC, but the hinges and internals changed (side impact bar and stuff) so I'd say "probably."

Back