• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 35 axle upgrade

tj rider

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 2000 tj, don't hate! it has a D35 rearaxle. i was thinking about the superior axles super 35 axle truss to beef it up instead of swopping for a D44. anyone have any thoughts or done it?

I was considering that, went with a dana 44 and I haven't been disappointed. Have you done a price comparison?

Don't sweat the TJ thing, nobody is perfect...
Go D44 or 29 spline 8.25. The 8.25 is going to be more common but they are all leaf sprung, so you gotta weld in some coil buckets etc. Of course, same with a D44 - unless you go D44a but thats a turd bucket of an axle to work to swap in...
As long as you have to weld in mounts & bracketry, have you considered an 8.8 from a Ford Explorer? Already come with discs, some of them...

the truss is like $350, but haven't price any d44. i would like to get one out of a ruby since the brackets should be almost identical. but don't know how much it would cost

I got my D44 for 180 at the JY. Some TJs came with D44s, grab one from a another TJ. Dont waste you time and money of a D35. Swapping a 8.25 would be a waste of time also, The work to bolt a 8.25 in would be pointless, sence TJs did not come with them i belive.

If you want your D35 to last you will need to significantly strengthen the housing. The D35 is known to flex enough to grind up the R&P and even thrash the carrier bearings. A strong diff cover will help this but you should also look at having some webbing welded to the inside and/or outside of the case and then install a strong carrier like an OX or detroit. Then you'll need to sleeve the axle tubes............Or you could just put in an 8.25, Ford 8.8 or D44 and be done with it.

I got my D44 for 180 at the JY. Some TJs came with D44s, grab one from a another TJ. Dont waste you time and money of a D35. Swapping a 8.25 would be a waste of time also, The work to bolt a 8.25 in would be pointless, sence TJs did not come with them i belive.

Disagree. The 8.25 is a stout axle and should handle most anything a D44 can without breakage. You can add a variety of covers, an ARB, a Lock-Rite or an Aussie and go all the way to 4.88 gears. Not quite as strong as a D44 but likely to be more available and cheaper.

By the time you've done the work to make the D35 a contender, you could have swapped something else in faster & cheaper. The only advantage to this axle is the wide range of lockers available for it.

The ford 8.8 also has a ton of lockers available for it. Given your full range of choices, the 8.8 is probably your best bet. Already available with LSD diffs & 3.73 or 4.10 gears, disc brakes from factory... just snatch one up, clean it, weld in the mounts and swap it in later.

Disagree. The 8.25 is a stout axle and should handle most anything a D44 can without breakage. You can add a variety of covers, an ARB, a Lock-Rite or an Aussie and go all the way to 4.88 gears. Not quite as strong as a D44 but likely to be more available and cheaper.

By the time you've done the work to make the D35 a contender, you could have swapped something else in faster & cheaper. The only advantage to this axle is the wide range of lockers available for it.

The ford 8.8 also has a ton of lockers available for it. Given your full range of choices, the 8.8 is probably your best bet. Already available with LSD diffs & 3.73 or 4.10 gears, disc brakes from factory... just snatch one up, clean it, weld in the mounts and swap it in later.

Mr. Y is spot on.:thumbup:
Don't waste your time throwing money at a D35.

Back