• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Question

apsdad

Cherokee Madness
I have a clunk in the front end on hill climbs. It happens in 2wd and more pronounced in 4wd. I have replaced lower control arms, upper control arms, Steering linkage. I have verified that the following have no problems: axle u-joints, front driveshaft u-joints, ball joints, hubs, track bar. The differential has all new bearings, and has near perfect contact patterns and backlash.

We pulled the diff again, and it appears we have worn spyder gears and the shaft. The clearance between the spyder gears and shaft is 0.010. So I know those need to be replaced.

My question is do I need to replace the carrier (case)? The dimensions between the pin and case range from .0035 to .0045. Can I get away with just a new pin, or do I need to replace the carrier? What should the clearance be?

For completeness, it is a 96 Cherokee Classic without ABS.

Just for fun check your upper mounts of your shocks. You could also check the alloy spacer at the steering box that loves to fracture.

Back