• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Audio and Speakers

Not sure about pre 96 models but in my 01 I'm running 6.5" Infinity reference up front with 5.5" Infinity reference in the back with an Alpine head unit. I'd definitely recommend www.crutchfield.com they include everything needed for the install as well as free lifetime tech support. Also if you're unsatisfied with your purchase for any reason they take it back no questions within 30 days.

i run the 5.25 alpine type s speakers all around. great sounding speakers. x2 on crutchfeild ive done all of my car audio business through them. great guys and very helpful. i had one guy help me off and on on the phone for about 4 to 5 hours installing a alarm.

6.5 will fit behind the grille. I think stock is 5.25", but both work. I have 6.5" in front, 6x9s in the back seat and 2 12s behind the seat.

i managed a pair of pioneed 6.5's in my doors and the same 6.5's in the rear of my 00, tight squeeze in the rear but they fit, both were approx 60 a set? and a kenwood deck i paid 68 for new at best buy... best cd player i've ever had =)

A lot of people have gotten 6.5's in. The mounting screws seem to take a little finesse, but not bad. Depth of the magnets can be an issue in the doors, but most OK.

the pioneers i have, have like 3-4 sets of screw holes, so it made me offset the speaker a touch and they fit good, after the grille went over it you will never know the difference thou

I upgraded my door speakers w/ some 6.5" Sony Xplod chepos from Walmart as well as in the sound bar I replaced w/ factory sized speakers (5.25" IIRC) in the Xplod flavor as well. I also added a second sound bar that runs over the driver and passenger b/c I have tube doors on in the summer and I loose the door speakers that way, so problem solved. I also added a 12" Kicker marine sub enclosure. It is solid as a rock, I can stack a 35" spare on top of it no problem and it is water proof to boot!

I've got some alpine type-r's in the doors and eclipse 3 ways in the sound bar all are 6.5. I had to cut the door panels on my 97 because they are too deep if they are placed behind the panel. The eclipse 3 ways will fit in the door no problem.

IIRC I surfaced mounted 6.25 coaxials in the rear, but it took surgery. I haven't been able to keep the covers on them and run them bare. If surface mounting any speaker, be picky about how the grilles go on. I would definitely prefer something screw on vs. a press fit. The grilles fell off half the time the hatch opened.

The fronts are small, I didn't get the 6" to fit and went back to 5. New speakers are a great upgrade when the old ones are trashed, and generally better quality.

Most of the time I can hear some distortion from the factory radio at 3/4 volume, expecially with the bass up. An amp would be nice, but lockers are higher on my list.

I was able to acheive that in teh front w/ the Sony XPLOD 6.5" speakers. they fit in the hole and retained the factory cover.

Back