• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bastard pack question

Sideshow

NAXJA Forum User
I recently performed the Dodge van main-leaf install. My shackle angle, ride and flex is much improved, however the rear sit's just a little too low.
IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

Is an add-a-leaf my only option? If so, what are your personal experiences with add-a-leaves. I estimate that +1 1/2"-2" would level it out, fully loaded.

no, an add a leaf is not your only option. you could continue to add more leaves(bastard pack) from other leaf packs. did you just add the van main to the xj pack?

no, an add a leaf is not your only option. you could continue to add more leaves(bastard pack) from other leaf packs. did you just add the van main to the xj pack?

Yes, that's exactly what I did. I have the RE +4.5 main leaves and a set of stock packs in my spare pile. The RE mains seem a little thick to cut down and stick in the leaf pack. I assume it would be too much spring with two mains, the Van main and the RE Main (cut to fit).

Actually, a second leaf that is as long as the main leaf is a good idea, it provides good support for the main leaf. Top quality aftermarket springs have a military wrap second leaf, which is a loose wrap around the spring eye.

Yes, just add to your pack until you get the height that you want. Unless you have some liner to put between the leaves, find leaves the length you need so you still have the friction pads on the ends. Most add-a-leafs are too stiff, and they don't come with friction pads.

Spelling and punctuation fix:doh::

I recently performed the Dodge van main-leaf install. My shackle angle, ride, and flex is much improved; however the rear sits just a little too low.
IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

Is an add-a-leaf my only option? If so, what are your personal experiences with add-a-leaves. I estimate that +1 1/2"-2" would level it out, fully loaded.

I did the dodge van main also,and i used the whole pack under the dodge main. xj main cut as long as possibe, then remainder of pack.make sure there evenly spaced, both front and rear.i cut xj main and xj second to get the proper stagger on leafs.use 2.5 in double lipped liner between leafs you had to cut. what a difference it makes!looks like you will need a 1" block also. don't be afraid to add the block with this pack at all. call eatonspring for the liner. good people.

If you just add the main leaf of the van pack, I'd add the second leaf in the van pack to the bastard pack as well.. Its ok to add 3 leaves to the xk pack. It will be thick, but will def give you what you want and still flex. Add a 1" shackle?

Thanks guys. I will add the RE main leaf to my existing pack and see where it ends up.

A second leaf as long as the main leaf is great for preventing main leaf breakage. I use AirLift helpers. They're easy to install, they're adjustable, and have good warranty service.

FYI: I used a Craftsman 7 1/4 circular saw with a metal cutting blade to cut the main on my bastard pack. The set I used came from a 99 Dakota.

YOU CAN MAKE A MILITARY WRAP OUT OF YOU XJ MAIN LEAF.

How does one make a military wrap using a regular main leaf? Don't this need special heating, bending and tempering equipment?

You can't cut a main leaf and wrap it around the other main leaf if the spring eyes are the same diameter..........to make a military wrap.

Last edited:
He has the dodge main already. if he cuts the xj main and uses the remainder of the xj pack it will work well. i have this exact setup on mine. he can use 1" block or even shackle relocators to it, or both if needed to gain more height. i took goatmans advise on reducing friction "IE" liners, painting,and u style clamps. and the pack flexes and rides excellent. and carries more weight without sagging. it does take some trial and error to get it the way you want, but well worth it.

only wrap the front eye and cut the rear completely off

That's not a bad idea except in my case the Dodge main leaf uses an oval bushing.

I look forward to the added rigidity to negate some of the axle-wrap, at least before I add a traction bar.

Back