• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hp 44 with D60 shafts?

98XJROKS

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone seen or heard of a narrowed driver drop 1 ton hp44 with D60 Chromo shafts?

Ditto.

D44 center section with your choice of D60 outers, 35 spline D44 ARB with your choice of D60 axle shafts. Similar to all the 609's out there, which are 9" centers and D60 outers, but the 9" centers have more 35 spline locker/carrier choices.

I strongly considered building a 60/44. It could be a real nice front axle, HP44 gears are plenty strong in the front.

Hey Goat, what would you consider a max tire size on a hybrid HP44/60, with 4340 shafts/joints, on a full body XJ with stock power, that sees southeast type heavy rocks?

I'm knocking around building such an axle using an ARB, with Spidertrax inners/outers and unit bearings. Light weight with good ground clearance.

Just asking your opinion. Thanks!

I was thinking about that while writing the above post. I don't know what the weakest part would be, the gears or the 35 spline ARB side gears. I've never had an ARB, so don't know anything about their relative size. I know with the High9's in the rear people are sometimes breaking the 35 spline ARB side gears, and I don't know how they compare to a D44 in size. I wouldn't be concerned at all with 40's, beyond that who knows. It also has plenty to do with driving style and terrain, as always. Guys are running Toyota axles with some pretty big tires. You'd probably want to shave the bottom of the D44 to be more clearance than a D60, aftermarket D60 center sections have pretty good clearance.

Okay so, what do you guys know or think about the TLocker, other than it's disconntinued?

The reason I ask is; I found a HP44 with chromo 60 inner and outers, 456 and a TLocker with a matching rear 60 and chromo shafts with a detroit. Both narrowed to 61" and i'm told they both have 1430 yokes.

Is this a swap worth doing and what issues am I going to have? Seems to me that its straight forward.

Okay so, what do you guys know or think about the TLocker, other than it's disconntinued?

The reason I ask is; I found a HP44 with chromo 60 inner and outers, 456 and a TLocker with a matching rear 60 and chromo shafts with a detroit. Both narrowed to 61" and i'm told they both have 1430 yokes.

Is this a swap worth doing and what issues am I going to have? Seems to me that its straight forward.

TLockers are beefy. I wish they had never been taken off the market. I have them both front and rear in the D60's in my buggy. They are a derivitive of the lockers in Unimogs, and were imported, but some sort of beef with the importer caused Tera to drop them. A shame, since it's a good product.

I'd jump all over those axles if the price is right and you have the dough.

TLockers are beefy. I wish they had never been taken off the market. I have them both front and rear in the D60's in my buggy. They are a derivitive of the lockers in Unimogs, and were imported, but some sort of beef with the importer caused Tera to drop them. A shame, since it's a good product.

I'd jump all over those axles if the price is right and you have the dough.

Yeah, for me the hang up was; cost of fabbing them up (no bracketry on either) and the cost of changing beedlocks again. Just bought brand new BFG Krawlers and Trailready beedlocks and the bolt patterns different, 8 on 6.5 instead of the 5 on 5.5 that I have now.

Well worth the time and effort to make those changes I guess. I'll be much happier in the end it sounds.

Thanks for he advise.

so to do this do you have to replace your inner Cs too or does the 60 outers bolt to the 44s inner Cs? if thats the case can you take kingpin 60 inners and weld them to the 44 and get 60 kingpin high steer knuckles from Reid or who ever is making them now?

so to do this do you have to replace your inner Cs too or does the 60 outers bolt to the 44s inner Cs? if thats the case can you take kingpin 60 inners and weld them to the 44 and get 60 kingpin high steer knuckles from Reid or who ever is making them now?

You have to use the inner C's from a 60 too... so, use whichever style you want... ball joint or king pin.
Billy

hmm I have a HD HP44 (leaf spring style) out of a 79 F-250... will that work?

It would work just fine. What is the OD of you HD44 axle tubes? would need to purchase some 60 inner c's, knuckles, hubs, ect. and have some shafts made. If the inner c's don't match your axle tubes OD you could have some sleeves made easy enough. The shafts could be splined for either 30 spline, 33 or 35 depending on which carrier you would use. For the 35 spline you would need a arb, 33 you could run a ox or possibly detroit, or on the cheep have them splined to 30, but that necks down the shaft back to dana 44 size. Another option may be to use a JK dana 44 locker. I think they are 32 or 33 spline. I personally have always wanted an ox, so would consider the 33 spline, or at least call them about a 35 spline version, seems they are always releasing new products. Other's would disagree and say do it right and go 35 spline. A Lot of the dana 60 rears are only 30 spline. I'm not sure if any of the fronts are. Another option would be to just cut down a dana 50. They use 30 spine shafts and have a 9" ring gear, the dana 44 is 8.5" The other thing that would need attention would be the inner axle seels. The shafts could be machined down to axept the stock d44 seel but that would kind of defeat the whole purpose cause the shaft would have to neck down so much. I don't know if the dana 60 inner axle seels would fit or not. Perhaps other will chime in on the inner axle seel delima. I'm all about these hybrid axles. In the prosess of building a hp rear. My front is already done but if I can locate some parts cheep enough will be building another front for my other Cherokee.

I think it's just ARB... OX and Detroit make 33 spline lockers, but no 35 that I'm aware of...

Back