• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OTK steering, TB relocation and RE trackbar?

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

Anyone done an OTK steering setup using a JKS trackbar relocation bracket or similar to move the TB to axle topside while still using an Rubicon Express HD trackbar? I am planning to run JCR 1 TON OTK and using either a JKS or TNT customs relocation bracket but I am thinking there will be issues with the RE trackbar. Didn't know if any of you have run into them already or gotten the combo to work without trouble.

TIA

I'm not sure on this but I think it will be too long so it would at least need shortened. Then you also may run in to issues with the bend hitting things on compression because with raising the axle mount, the bend may actually be higher then the frame side mount. I'm sure someone else can give you a definitive answer though.

All I've heard about OTA track bars suggests that you'll need to custom fab something short & straight. No first hand experience but this is what I've been told.

All I've heard about OTA track bars suggests that you'll need to custom fab something short & straight. No first hand experience but this is what I've been told.

This is correct.

Either disassemble the trackbar axle end bushing, cut the mount off, shorten the bar, and re-weld...or cut material from the middle of the trackbar and sleeve it back together. Either way, it DOES need to be shortened.

Doesn't seem to hard to cut it and then re-weld it, is there any reason that this is not the "best solution". Meaning, if cut square and welded right, it should be solid and safe, right?

TIA

Doesn't seem to hard to cut it and then re-weld it, is there any reason that this is not the "best solution". Meaning, if cut square and welded right, it should be solid and safe, right?

TIA

God I hope so...that's how we do them on customers' rigs. :anon:

I'm using the JKS over the axle track bar bracket with an RE Trackbar.

trackbar2-2.jpg

This issue here is that you have to keep the trackbar and draglink parallel. The JKS bracket will most likely move the trackbar to high for OTK steering. I'm using it with flattop knuckles and highsteer arms, and a flat wagoneer pitman arm. This combination is results in the links being parallel, so no bumpsteer. You might consider mocking up your steering with some 1" plastic pvc pipe as a test. And yes, I did have to shorten the RE trackbar.

I'm using the JKS over the axle track bar bracket with an RE Trackbar.

trackbar2-2.jpg

This issue here is that you have to keep the trackbar and draglink parallel. The JKS bracket will most likely move the trackbar to high for OTK steering. I'm using it with flattop knuckles and highsteer arms, and a flat wagoneer pitman arm. This combination is results in the links being parallel, so no bumpsteer. You might consider mocking up your steering with some 1" plastic pvc pipe as a test. And yes, I did have to shorten the RE trackbar.

So, this being said, I am most likely right in between of needed to raise my axle mount and leaving it stock since I am at 6" of lift and wanting to go OTK for steering. Guess I will try to see if I can get away with the stock mount and if not, then have to adjust and probably re-adjust the axle mounting point of the track bar.

Main reason I am asking is that I will have JCR do the install when I go with their kit since they are local and was wanting to have the TB mount already for them.

So, this being said, I am most likely right in between of needed to raise my axle mount and leaving it stock since I am at 6" of lift and wanting to go OTK for steering. Guess I will try to see if I can get away with the stock mount and if not, then have to adjust and probably re-adjust the axle mounting point of the track bar.

Main reason I am asking is that I will have JCR do the install when I go with their kit since they are local and was wanting to have the TB mount already for them.

It is posible that the JKS bracket will work for you. There is enough space on the bracket to drill a new hole for the trackbar bolt a little higher or lower. Also you might be able to use a drop pitman arm to make the links parallel. It is a combination of pitman arm, trackbar axle mount and tie rod placement that determines wether the links are parallel. I think removing your stock draglink and tierod and then mocking-up the new steering with some dowels or plastic pipe would reveal where you need to place the trackbar axle mounting bolt, and you should be able to tell if the JKS bracket will work.

I used a ruffstuff over the axle trackbar mount and a RE 1600 series trackbar with a homebrew double shear frame mount. I cut the bend closest to the axle out and sleeved it back together resulting in a bar with only the bend near the frame mount. It works just fine.

Curiosity - when sleeving a track bar, what do people thing about putting a length-wise cut down the center of the sleeve, call it 1/4 the way down on either end, and filling the center with weld? I'm thinking it would be stronger that way, more metal glue involved...?
Thoughts?

Curiosity - when sleeving a track bar, what do people thing about putting a length-wise cut down the center of the sleeve, call it 1/4 the way down on either end, and filling the center with weld? I'm thinking it would be stronger that way, more metal glue involved...?
Thoughts?
IMHO it would be more work than necessary for not much added strength. The trackbar only really sees tension and compression and doesn't need alot of bend strength.

OTK JCR steering with stock pitman arm, and stock lower trackbar mount on 6.5'' of lift.

0102.jpg

that's with an RE trackbar as well, correct? Got any bumpsteer, looks like your angles aren't quite parallel.

that's with an RE trackbar as well, correct? Got any bumpsteer, looks like your angles aren't quite parallel.

Sorry, yes it is a RE1660 trackbar and bracket. Very minimal bumpsteer. Yes its there, but its not bad at all, and it beat the heck out of having to redo the trackbar mount.

Angles:
0113.jpg

Here is a shot of my stock steerin, RE HD trackbar and frame end mount, stock axle end mount and using a 4" drop pitman arm with 6" of lift. If I use JCR OTK steering with a stock pitman arm (or even try and keep my 4" drop), I might be okay although I am inclined to still use a relocation mount on the axle end. What do you guys think?

P1010005a.jpg

Here is a shot of my stock steerin, RE HD trackbar and frame end mount, stock axle end mount and using a 4" drop pitman arm with 6" of lift. If I use JCR OTK steering with a stock pitman arm (or even try and keep my 4" drop), I might be okay although I am inclined to still use a relocation mount on the axle end. What do you guys think?

P1010005a.jpg
OTK with a stock pitman arm should be O.K.

Back