• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is my jeep safe to tow with ?

camarors8992

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1995 Jeep Cherokee. It has a trailer hitch and what not. However, I have some concerns that make me think it won't be safe to pull a trailer with 2 sleds on it. Last may or june my buddy rear ended me in his neon. We didn't report it as he had got the worst of the damage (broken radiator, bumper ripped off, bent radiator support) Upon closer inspection of my jeep i see I sustained more damage than first thought. Here are some pictures to show damage. In my shop class we jacked the jeep up soley by the bottom of the ball and put about 8 people in the back and nothing move when the rear wheels left the ground. I think it's still solid, but needs to be straightened.

Bent bumper mount.
100_1531.jpg

Bent trailer hitch.
100_1535.jpg

Frame.
100_1536.jpg

Also, the rear sags ALOT. I was thinking of just getting 2000lb helper leafs to raise, and stiffen the rear back up.
100_1530.jpg

The buckled "frame" worries me a bit. Is there any way you can patch and reinforce that section? How much does the trailer weigh loaded?

Back