• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie Locker on a daily driver

Johnsdad

NAXJA Forum User
What are the pros and cons of a Lock Rite/Aussie type locker on an XJ yused for both daily transport and off roading? Any plus or minus for driving in snow or with a trailer?

I've had one in the front of mine for 2 weeks and you can't tell it's there. If your putting it in the rear it's a different story it'll rachet and lock up if your on it. It's all in pesonally preferance I guess.

pros; SEARCH
cons; search...

there are waaaay too many threads w/ aussie in the topic on the number 1 page of mod tech... and none of them are actually good questions that havent been asked a million times... just do it, dont be a puss.

JUST DO IT! (thousands have before you)

hasta

:D

Just did one in my new (to me) 8.8 rear. It works excellant and is in now way a bother to drive. I bet its going to be a handful in the first snow until I get used to it but it should be fun.

yup, like said, do it,I have no regrets,takes some getting used to but you be lovin it, I run it with tera 2low kit for the t/case.

I run a lockrite on the rear (8.25) and an Aussie on the front D30 of my daily driver with a part time 4x4 NP231.
No problems, HOWEVER:
I am not willing to drive on snow or ice,
While in 4 wd Sometimes the front locker pulls me straight while I want to turn.
OVERALL: My daily driver is amazing now that it is locked!
This was a great investment, and I have no regrets on the highway.

The Aussie is really quiet compared to the Lockrite, but they both do it well

You will love it. I have a Lock Rite in the rear(8.8) and an Aussie in the D30. Love it! It is harder on joints but its worth it IMO.

Snow and ice is different but not bad. We finally got a winter after having the locker for almost 2 years and I like it. I drove through the nieghborhood to get a feel for it and it was no problem. Even on straight Ice it wasn't a problem. It also made for more controlable power slides :D.

You will love it. I have a Lock Rite in the rear(8.8) and an Aussie in the D30. Love it! It is harder on joints but its worth it IMO.

Snow and ice is different but not bad. We finally got a winter after having the locker for almost 2 years and I like it. I drove through the nieghborhood to get a feel for it and it was no problem. Even on straight Ice it wasn't a problem. It also made for more controlable power slides :D.
Me 3

I have a Lock Rite in my D30 (non-disco setup) and you can definitely hear it ratcheting when making sharp turns. Pulling into parking spaces or making slow turns in parking lots is really when it's noticeable. This wasn't an issue when I had the disconnect setup. That's my only complaint.

OK...few points need to be made. Aussie for front is OK with some sort of front disco. Otherwise, it will cause steering issues, especially in snow/ice. If you want to run 4-wheel drive for snow/ice highway driving, you don't want an automatic locker...why I went with an E-Locker up front for my XJ with the NP242 (full time 4x4 option). Steering without wheel spin/skid is essential!

That being said...just be careful...get to know the limitations...

I love having selectable lockers front and rear...to handle any situation, be it highway or slow off-road rock crawling. Personal opinion..I know.

OK...few points need to be made. Aussie for front is OK with some sort of front disco. Otherwise, it will cause steering issues, especially in snow/ice. If you want to run 4-wheel drive for snow/ice highway driving, you don't want an automatic locker...why I went with an E-Locker up front for my XJ with the NP242 (full time 4x4 option). Steering without wheel spin/skid is essential!

That being said...just be careful...get to know the limitations...

I love having selectable lockers front and rear...to handle any situation, be it highway or slow off-road rock crawling. Personal opinion..I know.

Now I know I live in Oklahoma and you have seen more snow in the last year than I have my whole 30 years alive lol. But we usually get ice which is much slicker than snow and the automatic locker works fine. Its not as safe as an open front diff but if your familiar with your rig and how it acts on slippery trails you can handle the automatic locker. Just don't go tossing the keys to someone who doesn't know whats going on.

In fact its better in the snow and ice than my tru-trac was. With the auto locker it at least disengages under no load. The tru-trac was always "on" and when its ice the friction in the tru-trac is greater than the traction and you basicly have a front spool that drives like crap. The biggest problem with that is its still there in 2wd when it was icey it was almost impossible to turn into a parking spot as it wouldn't turn. With the aussie I can at least put it in 2wd and get my turning radius back.

Last edited:
Back