• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1 ton TRE's to Heims...?

Senior_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I believe my steering is a 1 ton JCR but i bought the built HP d30 with it already on so im not 100% sure. The TRE's are under the knucle style and i think it may be time to replace them.

Is there any way i could switch to heims over the knuckle style and just have to screw in the new joints to the existing steering bars?? Couldnt i just run a bolt thru the knuckle with new mounts ontop for the heims??

If not then when i buy replacement TREs, can i atleast switch it to an over the knuckle setup?? Oh and one dumb question, how do i know what replacement 1 ton TREs to buy and where can i get them???

I did do some searching but i couldnt find a direct answer to what i wanna do.
Thanks guys!!

Wow... a little editing might have helped me understand those questions better, but here goes.

Anyway, in short no. You can not just thread rod ends into the tube adapters the TREs came from, for several reasons. One, a 1-ton TRE is longer from the end of the threads to the center of the bolt hole. You'd have to run the rod ends almost all the way out in order to "reach" the holes, if they even would. Two, the threads are different. Most 1-ton TREs (at least the ones I've seen) have 7/8" -18 tpi threads. The comparable sized rod end would have 7/8" -14 tpi threads. Depending on the tube you have you might be able to drill and tap for 1.0" -14 tpi or 1.25" -12 tpi rod ends, but those are huge for steering. Plus you'll run into issue number one anyway.

If the knuckles are already reamed for under the knuckle you won't be able to switch to over the knuckle without swapping knuckles or welding up the holes and redrilling them (I wouldn't do the latter myself). JCR should have replacements, or go into any parts store and ask for 1-ton Chevy TREs and find the ones that match your current ones.

Hope that helps.

Perfect, thank you!!!!!! That was all i needed to hear.

I already found repacements on JCR's site so im good!!

Thanks!!

the best part of jcr's setup, is you dont have to bug them for replacement TRE's... its an off-the-shelft part... goto your local parts store if you are in a rush...

dunno about tre's, but jcr is NOT known for their lickety split ship times...

Back