• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Mount Help

balrog429

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Ok, so after searching/reading about 1000 posts I found out how to replace the tranny mount. A lot of people have said don't remove the crossmember and some say you have to. After I got down there I found out that I had to because the 18mm bolts on the mount were not moving at all. So, the crossmember came off easy, big breaker bar and the bolts to the mount are off. Cleaned the crossmember and installed new mount. Went to replace the crossmember and the bolt holes for the crossmember are off just a bit from the bolts on the mount. I replaced the motor mounts before all this with brown dog mounts and brackets. anyone have any ideas on how to get the bolts in? I've done more searching and came across a ton of write ups about the crossmember bolts in the frame rail but nothing having to do with the mount bolts. Any advise would be great. The next step is to blow up the jeep.:explosion

Having the tranny mount the wrong way would make it way off, not just a little. Compare the new mount to the old one. And in the crossmember, there are six holes in that area. Make sure you're using the correct four.

Two chances to screw the pooch:

1. Crossmember turned around

2. Transmission mount turned around.

Just try different combos until you get it.

Two chances to screw the pooch:

1. Crossmember turned around

2. Transmission mount turned around.

Just try different combos until you get it.

Joe has the correct approach. I changed mine last summer and it was easy but I got a lift to use when I need it. Try those different combinations and one is sure to solve your problem.
Blue

Thanks guys for the responses. when I get home I'll try to turn the crossmember around and the other combos to see if it goes in. I'll post with the results.

Well thanks everyone for the help. Just got that bad boy in. After a couple of hours fighting with it I had the "ah huh" moment. I wrapped a strap around the mount and pulled to the side and it fell right in. I guess the new brown dog mounts are doing the job. The only thing I can think of is that the old mounts were so far gone that the driveline had been out of alignment for so long it had to be "finessed" into the correct position. Is there anything I should watch out for when I get her back on the road?

Is there anything I should watch out for when I get her back on the road?

There are just two things to watch out for in Bakersfield: Coyotes and my Nephew.

Your motor mounts may now have a lot of stress on them. This is clear from threads of the poly mounts making everything vibrate badly. Then when posters loosen and retighten mounts, the vibration decreased. You should loosen the motor mounts, then maybe wiggle motor a little, and retighten. This should reduce premature wear from stress.

Back