• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High Idle

White Knuckle

NAXJA Forum User
My fuel pump died again on my 1989 XJ. I decided to try cleaning out the throttle body to make sure before I tore into the gas tank. I did an "oopsie" and pulled the TPS off, since I wasin a hurry and a bit frustrated. Since then, I have recalibrated the TPS to 82%, changed the plug wires (plugs are new), checked the IAC (seems to work, but I think it still may be bad), check vacuum lines, did the leak test with carb cleaner, chcked the temp sensor, and reset the computer. I replaced the fuel pump, but I am having a idle problem and it has brought my MPG down to 10.

The idle will stay around 1000-1200 in drive, and shoot up to 2000 sometimes out of gear. After driving a while in 90+ degree traffic jams, it will settle down to 700. I have regained power since recalibrating the TPS, but it takes 3000 rpm to get off the line.

Should I replace the IAC anyway?

Back