• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock gears with 33s

CherokeeCrawler88

NAXJA Forum User
ok all my buddies are doing test runs on there rigs this weekend and want me to join I currently running 31x11.50 LTBS they are almost wore out. I have a new set of 33x12.50 boggers i wanted to know could i run them with my 3.55 stock gears it will mostly be mud and trails no rocks at all. Im just asking because i dont wanna burn up another AW4. Will be putting 4.88s soon when i go to 35s.

Just try not to get those boggers in something where they can get a lot of traction they'll snap shafts like crazy!

You must have been trying to burn up an AW4! :D

FWIW i know someone who runs 34" LTB's on his rig with stock gears and he loves it.

You can only do that if you have the Dana 35 :rtm:

:rolleyes:

Every Jeep is different you may not have any problems then again the first time you take it wheelin you may snap an axle. You are taking a chance with 33's on stock gears regardless of mud or rocks.

I [unfortunately] have been running 33's on 3.55's with a aw4 for a year now with no issues, and I have beat on it pretty hard.

~James

You should be O.K. if you run in low range but as mentioned you are taking a bit of a chance of breakage. It will help to air down a bit which will reduce the effective diameter of the tires and reduce stress on the driveline. I don't recommend running through any deep mud holes because if you are spinning the tires and suddenly catch traction you are at great risk of grenading an axle or differential.

I have 33s on a stock 3.55 D-35 and I am hard on it. I have yet to have a major problem. blew the straps off the U-joint last trip to rc but that is it. I trailer mine so it it breaks it just costs me the day. It is not recomended but I have not had a problem.

i used to run 33x10.50r15 bfg mt's on 3.55 gears and loved it on the highway. The trail it wasn't bad in low or high...just not for heavy duty stuff. IMHO the first mod for your Jeep if planning on wheeling or towing in any shape or form is a trans temp gauge. great insurance it is! -B

i used to run 33x10.50r15 bfg mt's on 3.55 gears and loved it on the highway. The trail it wasn't bad in low or high...just not for heavy duty stuff. IMHO the first mod for your Jeep if planning on wheeling or towing in any shape or form is a trans temp gauge. great insurance it is! -B

IMHO the first mod should be a huge cooler with a fluid change. It is great insurance. All a gauge does is tell you when it's getting too hot. A cooler keeps it from getting too hot.

Mod number two would be an inline filter.

Mod number three is a skid pan for the trans pan. It's hard to hit but it can happen....

Mod number four is a gauge which is basically entertainment. because mod #1 keeps it cool...

IMHO the first mod should be a huge cooler with a fluid change. It is great insurance. All a gauge does is tell you when it's getting too hot. A cooler keeps it from getting too hot.

Mod number three is a skid pan for the trans pan. It's hard to hit but it can happen....

Mod number four is a gauge which is basically entertainment. because mod #1 keeps it cool...

A cooler does not mean it will keep it cool enough in all conditions. The gauge has stopped me from over heating the trans by letting me know the temp which is what gauges are for; just like all the other gauges on your dash or are they entertainment too?

IMHO the first Mod should be synthetic fluid--it will stand up to heat better.

I agree with all the rest of your Mod.

i run 33 12.5 TSL SSR's and when you get traction in 4hi its not gonna wanna move well atleast in the sand on a hill(were i play alot) but in 4lo it will do pretty good but you should be alright

A cooler does not mean it will keep it cool enough in all conditions. The gauge has stopped me from over heating the trans by letting me know the temp which is what gauges are for; just like all the other gauges on your dash or are they entertainment too?

My 24"x08" 38,000lb gross vehicle wieght rated one will keep it cool. It's mounted in front of the radiator on the side with the A/C electric fan(which I don't have). I have a sensor which runs the fan if the trans temp ever exceeds 195 degrees. I have a 210 degree sensor for a overheat light but the trans never gets that hot.

A gauge is eye candy that takes your attention from the trail.

IMHO the first Mod should be synthetic fluid--it will stand up to heat better.

I agree with all the rest of your Mod.

The recommended fluid is all that is needed with the proper set-up. Anything else is a waste of money. I keep the synthetic fluid for my transfercase...

Back