• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 xj cutting out, stumbling at 2500 to 3000 rpm

scout1963

NAXJA Forum User
I am Stumped. I have a 1996 xj with a 4.0L AT. I have had it only a few months. On the drive home it would cut out at 2500 to 3000 rpm, like it is hitting the rev limiter. While in neurtral or park engine runs good, it will hit the rev limit at 5600 or where ever that limit is. Seem to have plenty of power up until that 3000rpm point. Has not thrown any codes. I checked "check engine light" lamp...is good. problem is very consistent

What i have replaced with new:
Wire set, spark plugs, cap, rotor, Complete distributer with cam sensor, igintion coil, fuel filter, negitive battery cable, positive cable end, battery

What i have checked with a friends xj(part swapping):
MAP sensor, TPS, Crank sensor, complete computer.

Other checks I have done
1.Fuel pressure is 45 psi at rail. Stays at 45psi even during cutting out.
2.Good grounds: Batt to chassis ground=0.01 ohms. batt to engine ground=0.02ohms
3.MAP sensor 5.1v input, pin 1-3=5.1v
4.Crank sensor 5.1v input 4.3ohms
5.TPS 0.9v sweep to 4.2v WOT

Please help with any info or more tests I can run.

Thanks in advance.:helpme:

I tested the vacuum yesterday, it was 15 in. hg at idle steady needle. 0 vac at WOT, 30+ in.hg slammed shut throttle.

Had a cat put on before I bought it.:dunno:

i had a friend with a '95 that would do the same thing. it turned out to be the ignition coil, tested fine to according to The Book. swapped it out of desperation-ran perfectly after that.

just realized you already did that, missed that part. disregard.

Have you replaced the Oxygen Sensor? I have a very similar problem w/my '96 a few years back when it had about 175K miles on it... turned out to be the O2 Sensor... and it never thru a code. You might try swapping one f/your friends XJ and drive it around a bit and see if that fixes the stumble.

Let us know...

I took it out and checked the wires, but did not swap it out. I will try that tonight.
Thanks

I have replaced mine again since... and both times I replaced the O2 Sensor the wires and sensor looked great... albeit used, but nothing visually wrong. I sure hope it's the O2 as I know how irritating it can be tracking down a miss on an otherwise tuned up vehicle.

I had a coil go bad(accel) that wouldn't let me rev above 3K and would try to cut out if I didn't give it gas. It would also have intermittent starts.

It has a new auto zone coil. I have installed bad "new" parts before. I may start to check the new parts again. I also unplugged the o2 sensor threw a code (o2 power ground 0132) and still cut out exactally the same. plugged the o2 back in, code cleared.

Update:
I rechecked with a known good ignition coil, and cam sensor, vehicle speed sensor, both o2 sensors, and the transmission computer.

Wire problem maybe?

Does any one know what tells the computer that the rev limit is hit. I know its gotta be the cam or crank sensor. Also what is cut out(fuel, ignition coil, injectors?) when it is at the rev limit.

Stupid questions coming.

Auto trans? Could this be trans related? Does it crap out only while driving?

If only while driving, have you tried unplugging the TCU?

Yes its an auto. Once and a while i can get it to cut out in park. I swapped out the tcu with a known good one. I didnt unplug and try it. I will do that.

Thanks

My 92 XJ is doing exactly the same thing. I haven't changed as many parts as you (yet) but I'm looking up specs to test voltages right now.

Back