• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How reliable is your old XJ?

RTFM

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all - it's been a while since I last posted, been busy rebuilding a Jeep J-20 Pick up and the old XJ has been running fine.

Last year my '89 XJ went through a full work over, new front brakes (rotors, pads the works) same for the rear, new rear main seal, new head gasket, new clutch, new fly wheel, new secondary and master clutch cylinders, all new vacuum lines, new tires and a full tune up package, new radiator and over flow tank.

$3,000 got me back to right with the XJ, it has 205,000 miles on her but I have no idea how well the core engine is, I still leak a little oil but burn none as far as I can tell.

My issue/question is how strong are the high mileage XJ's? have I done enough to stave off failure for a few more yeas or am I coming up to a wall that XJ's just die at?

If they are still strong after 200,000 miles and I have nothing to worry about then in the fall I'll look in to a 4.5" with 32" tires a new pant job and rims.

If not there are a few sweet used 98;s and a beauty of a 99 here in town.
After all these years in the same XJ it would feel like slutting around if I got a new one.....

I just don't know which way to go right now, keep the 89 and continue building it, or trade her for one that's 10 years newer.

:geek:

I'd have to say, after putting all the work into it you might as well keep it!!! If its running good and you do your own maintenance why not hang on to it! Now on the flipside, my 94 runs like a piece of garbage, after I put probably 3K into suspension/mods to it. Engine is on its way out, and thats only at 130K. All the problems started after I lifted it (probably not the cause, but such is life!!) But either way, swapping an engine is probably in my future. Buying a new one would be cheating, and would probably have problems of its own to deal with!

Good question... after 170K miles its still reliable enough to make me spend more money. I've had many conflicting thoughts on when is the right time to make the decision to move on... this is the first time I've owned a vehicle that I actually enjoyed driving more than 10K miles.

I get bored easily... :dunno:

Overall, Jeep 4.0 are reliable.. most of the ones I have owned have gone over 200k no prob. You will probably not get your money back on what you put into it, so I would keep it. Maybe buy a newer one for a DD and build this one up. Mine has 180k on it and it runs great

they say its common to hit 300000 miles on the xjs. i believe it. mine leaks oil and has 190000 on it and i drive it everyday to work i almost put 400 miles a week on it some weeks.

On the same note, slightly different issue... believe it or not, I get teenagers in South Orange County that want my XJ -- this is in BMW country. Of course mine is extremely clean, for some reason the youngsters like XJs in general...

Mine has 215k on the ticker, and runs great. Its on 35's its my DD, and the last 30k on it have been hard hard miles (hell the first 185k were hard miles as well.... it was a forestry service xj). I would say its worth hanging onto it, and just doing whatever maintenance it requires. Think of it this way, even if you spend and average of $250 a month on it to do what you need to keep you happy with it. $250 a month is still cheaper than a car payment on a new car!!

My original 4.0 blew up at 211k, at which time it was about 10k since last oil change, and it was abused on a daily basis. My "new" 4.0 now has about 225k on it, and still works well. The jeep itself just passed 235k, meaning it could have by now reached the surface of the moon, if such a road existed. So your engine still has some miles left in it, as long as you change the oil, and don't add a 100 shot of nitrous.

Last edited:
240,000+ and counting. How reliable? I fill up with gas, turn the key and drive from Miami to Hartford CT to visit family or to Iowa and other places to work without thinking twice.

My 1990 is low mileage (110k-ish). The only reliable thing about it is that it starts every time, otherwise I've spent alot of time and money rebuilding things as they wear out. It's nearly 20 years old, and at this point alot of what is breaking down is probably considered completely normal for it's age, but I've decided that it isn't worth putting the money into since the engine is probably on borrowed time anyhow. Rust is starting in a few spots and it's just plain getting old.

That being said, most of my friends with XJ's all have older models with over 300k kilometres of hard use with no major problems. Somehow I think I ended up with a lemon and as such I'm looking forward to getting a slightly newer XJ and hopefully keeping it for years and years.

i know as soon as i post how reliable my XJ with 206k is, its going to take a dump on me.

mines got 205k, and all i've done is the typical maintenance, spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor, rear main seal, and it runs great. course now that i said that it will think i've neglected it and it will want new toys

My '87 has 260k on it. I replaced the rod bearings for piece of mind but they old ones were really not that bad at all, timing set seems to be in good shape. It doesn't use a drop of oil, never smokes, has a lot of power.. more seat of the pants power than some HO's I've driven. I am however going to have to replace the lifters soon.

Hey all - it's been a while since I last posted, been busy rebuilding a Jeep J-20 Pick up and the old XJ has been running fine.

Last year my '89 XJ went through a full work over, new front brakes (rotors, pads the works) same for the rear, new rear main seal, new head gasket, new clutch, new fly wheel, new secondary and master clutch cylinders, all new vacuum lines, new tires and a full tune up package, new radiator and over flow tank.

$3,000 got me back to right with the XJ, it has 205,000 miles on her but I have no idea how well the core engine is, I still leak a little oil but burn none as far as I can tell.

My issue/question is how strong are the high mileage XJ's? have I done enough to stave off failure for a few more yeas or am I coming up to a wall that XJ's just die at?

If they are still strong after 200,000 miles and I have nothing to worry about then in the fall I'll look in to a 4.5" with 32" tires a new pant job and rims.

If not there are a few sweet used 98;s and a beauty of a 99 here in town.
After all these years in the same XJ it would feel like slutting around if I got a new one.....

I just don't know which way to go right now, keep the 89 and continue building it, or trade her for one that's 10 years newer.

:geek:
Its going to fail you and leave you stranded. I will come get it for free so you dont have to worry about being broken down some where.(just kidding) :laugh: I talked with a guy last week that has had a 89 with a heavy rod knock in start up that you thought it was comming appart he has 350xxx miles on it and clames it has done it for 30,000 or so.

now that i post this sumthen will prob go wrong but oh well..iv got a 89 with about 260k and over the past 4 years have been hell on her..i beat the crap out of it every day and even more on the weekend..it starts every time and dos just what a 21 year old xj dos..i still love it..i could NEVER get rid of her

Around 350,000 on my 98, second engine, first went at 250,000 or so from a stuck open injector that wiped #3 cylinder. Reman jasper engine, doing fine. Going to finally do the radiator I've had sitting in the shed for the last 2 years as soon as it warms up a bit more.
Using my sons MC this summer, he's going to NH on his internship to the federal park in the white mountains and taking his TJ. Going to drop the XJ off at the body shop and get some stuff spiffed up. Gotta do bushings too.

probably not pertinent to your question , since i have a 1984 model with a v6 that nobody likes... :D

but I paid 400 bucks for it 8 yrs ago. it has ~300k on it.

I spun a rod bearing on the original v6, went to the u -pull -it, stuck in another v6 for about 70 bucks and put about 40k on it so far...

it has a 50 dollar automatic tranny i got from the u-pull-it(swapped it from a stick so my wife could drive it)

I drive it to colorado springs from omaha every 6 months.. it has never left me stranded.. but i never EVER go anywhere with out my tools. :D

hell i even blew a diaphragm on my mechanical fuel pump, it dumped a bunch of gas in my crank case.. in the middle of the night in kansas on my way to colorado springs. I filled a 5 quart tranny fluid container with gas, ran a hose thru the fire wall and had my wife be the fuel pump until i got to burlington , co. I had to fill up the container every so often, but it didn't leave me stranded.(lets see you do that with a fuel injected vehicle.) i have since put a electric fuel pump on it..

it used to be red, but I camoed it . :D
my jeep is very reliable..

my wife has a 97, but i don't trust it.

327,000 on my 90 XJ, 150,000 on rebuilt used engine, before I threw a rod (i think) in December. sitting outside the house now, until I have the $$$ for a proper re-engine, and an upgrade. Not bad for a bone stock XJ daily driver. "And I say onto you, ye shall rise again..."

I've had 2 XJ's and my current MJ.

I bought the 1st one brand new in 1988 and other than the hydraulic throw out bearing and 1 water pump I had ZERO problems from mile 1 to 185,000 when I finally sold her in the mid 1990's.

The second one was a 2000 XJ, I only had her for 30,000 miles but ZERO problems. I miss her. :bawl:

My current ride, My 1988 MJ has 180,000+ original miles, still has original engine, AW4, etc. It has no leaks, uses no oil, and never misses a beat. Virtually everything functions on it as it should. I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a trip to Alaska and back right now, I have that much confidence in her.

I think alot of why my vehicles seem to do so well is I always keep all my maintenance up to date and I mean everything. If something isn't 100% right it gets corrected immediately, I don't just " let things slide". When is the last time you flushed your entire brake system as general maintenance? How about your cooling system? Even change your power steering fluid? Or do you wait until there is a problem?

I come from an Aviation background where maintenance items get done or the plane doesn't fly. Adopt a similar stance & I bet you'll see your Jeeps reliability skyrocket.

Last edited:
Back