• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad axle hop at 50mph

OZJEEP

NAXJA Forum User
My 96 XJ had a bad hop when I bought it and I thought it was because of a non existent shock bushing on the top. Well I just added some spacers and shackles and also replaced the bushings while I was in the area and I still have it. Its like the axle is literally hopping and it peaks at 50 mph. Could it be my sway bar bushings causing the hop?

i would first check to see if the shocks are even good and i would also make sure the ubolts are tight as well

bad tire? I'd look for a bubble/hump in the tread someplace , been wheelin the radials at low pressure? could have seperated the belts.

I know that its coming from the front due to the front of my jeep vibrating violently, and I checked all the bolts to make sure there isn't any loose bolts. And the really weird thing is that I had stock street tires before the spacers and I put MTRs on it and it's still doing it in the same spot 50mph. I think the shocks are still good cause I didnt notice anything wrong with them when I replaced the bushing on them, they compressed fine and expanded good too.

I hope someone can answer this. I am not trying to hijack this thread and will gladly post this elswhere but it sounds similar to my issue.
I have a 2000 cherokee and between 51 and 54 mph i have always had a slight vibration(not to be confused with the death wobble). It decrease when I installed a newer steering stabilizer. I have verified that everything is tightend to torque specs and that my wheels don't move back and forth, by hand, when jacked off the ground.
Any theories?

bad tire? I'd look for a bubble/hump in the tread someplace , been wheelin the radials at low pressure? could have seperated the belts.

I'd bet bad tire - and it may not even be something you can see. I fought this on my daughters Jeep for a while, even rotating tires. When we finally put a new set of tires on it, it went away completely. . .

I hope someone can answer this. I am not trying to hijack this thread and will gladly post this elswhere but it sounds similar to my issue.
I have a 2000 cherokee and between 51 and 54 mph i have always had a slight vibration(not to be confused with the death wobble). It decrease when I installed a newer steering stabilizer. I have verified that everything is tightend to torque specs and that my wheels don't move back and forth, by hand, when jacked off the ground.
Any theories?

my guess is that the new steering stabilizer is sucking up the tire vibs or something better than your old one.

and to the OP- i agree with others about tires i have one that is doing it right now and causing the hop. its even worn out one of my shocks bushings on one side

He's already changed tires
And the really weird thing is that I had stock street tires before the spacers and I put MTRs on it and it's still doing it in the same spot 50mph.

Back