• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering fluid...alternative?

BlueCuda

NAXJA Forum User
This is just something I pondered. My XJ has 220K on it and the PS pump just doesn't keep up when wheeling, the fluid gets hot and the steering goes to *pot* at low speeds. The fluid has been changed a few times and it always comes out nasty within a few days.

Here is something I considered. Since I have a wheeling trip this weekend and lack the time and desire to change power steering pumps could I just switch the fluid to something a little heavier? Something like 30wt motor oil maybe? The pump and box both have 220K on them and I am sure the tolerances are opened up considerably. This would be an expierement more than anything since It needs a new pump and box(leaking) for sure. Anybody think this will just totally F it up or is it worth a shot?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd just replace the parts. Most hydraulic systems require a fairly low-vis oil to transmit power effectively.

That being said, I've been using DexII/IIE/III as power steering fluid for years - it keeps logistics simple (always a good thing.) Especially if I've replaced the pump and box - I'll change the fluid over as well. The base oil for ATF is 10-vis, and power steering fluid seems to be about the same, so that's no trouble.

Also, ATF seems to hold up to the heat better, and it's higher in detergent - so it keeps the system a bit cleaner. I've not had any trouble that indicates I should stop using it as such, so I will continue until I do.

a company called LUCAS oil used to make a power steering "restore" that you added to your existing fluid (found it at autozone). Used it in a gm pump that was making a terrible racket, like marbles in a blender. Worked great, eliminated the noise, never had a problem with it again... But even that pump had pressure at low rpms without the additive, I think your pump may be worse off. The fluid was thicker than maple syrup, and it was a brown formulation that had a very low odor unlike gear oil or motor oil.
F it, buy a new pump (and belt in case the old pump seizes and breaks the belt) bring em with ya, eventually you'll need it. That p/s additive was like $9, new pumps like $35, I'd just put he $ toward the pump. I'm not sure if it would hurt anything, but if I had to guess I would think that mixing in a quart of 20w50 (get it cheap) would act as a "restore" just for the weekend. I wouldn't go w/o a new pump onboard.

Cool thanks for the info, might just be time to quit bieng so lazy :D.

Sounds like you have a heat problem, and probably a bad pump. If you don't have a steering cooler, add one, and like has been said replace the pump. I wouldn't increase the viscosity of the fluid, that would only add to the problem by increasing the heat. Also, while I respect 5-90, no performance power steering manufacturing condones running ATF in the power steering system. I don't know why, it could have too much detergent and not hande the heat well, it could have additives for trannies that break down under heat faster than power steering fluid.......who knows. 5-90 doesn't wheel much :)D), and it sounds like you're overheating your system when wheeling. While the ATF might work fine, like some have experienced, it's not recommended so why take the chance over the long haul. PS fluid is pretty cheap. But definitely add a cooler to the system.

I do plan to use my factory trans cooler as a power steering cooler and add a larger cooler to the trans. Problem is I have been planning that for a few years now :D.

Thanks for the reply. And keep up the good work on KOH!

I use Redline synthetic in the buggy to help deal with the heat, but really, since I re-did my system and got the bad parts out of it heat's not a problem anymore. I have plenty of cooling and regular PS fluid should work fine. Funny, we all have our opinions, but when you talk to the experts most of them say to just run regular PS fluid. But, you need a cooler and good parts. :)

Joe Gibbs also makes a full synthetic power steering pump fluid that I have been meaning to put into my XJ
My PS pump started making that "can full of marbles" sound a few months after I got it, If you can borrow a pulley remover/installer its about a 30 min job to do and not too expensive.

OP, What fluid have you been using?

as soon as i get around to it im going to swap my power steering fluid with royal purple, and as soon as i do my diff's they will get treated with royal purple... and eventually i'll do my tranny. lets just say i swapped my engine out with full synthetic royal purple, and im at 4000 miles now and its still pretty clean and not burnt up yet... i'll check it again at 6000 and see how its doing,

this is what they claim
"
How often should I change Royal Purple in my passenger car?
Royal Purple recommends following the manufacturer’s maintenance intervals while the vehicle is under factory warranty. In clean engines that are no longer under warranty, oil change intervals may be extended up to every 12,000 miles or annually, whichever comes first. Oil filter changes should be done as recommended by the filter’s manufacturer and oil should be topped off as needed.
In dirty engines, Royal Purple recommends the standard 3,000 to 5,000 mile oil and filter change interval until the engine oiling system is clean and free of deposits left by lower quality oils and / or poor maintenance or mechanical problems. This will allow time to gradually remove existing deposits without overloading the oiling system. Mechanical problems such as fuel dilution, coolant leaks into the crankcase, poor air filtration and / or failure to maintain proper oil level are all detrimental factors to the service life of any engine oil. Any one of these factors can significantly shorten the useful service life of any oil."

sorry its not intended to be a thread jack, but i'd seriously look into royal purple oil as well, its done me really good.

I have been using just plane old power steering fluid. I am sure it needs a new pump I was just trying to be lazy. Not going to have time to do it since I keep finding shit wrong getting ready for a wheeling trip this weekend. I am thinking the arms will get a good workout lol.

Nothing like thinking your all done and doing the final shakedown and finding something messed up. I will be swapping in my spare shafts tommorow since the joints in these are circleing the drain.

Nothing like thinking your all done and doing the final shakedown and finding something messed up. I will be swapping in my spare shafts tommorow since the joints in these are circleing the drain.

No kidding... Sunday I was trying to get the Jeep together to go. I changed the Alternator, P/S Pump, Air Filter, Diff Fluids, & T/Case Water. On the the way back to vatozone I noticed the rear main & output shaft seal pooring fluid, it never fails... A small leak turned into a nice big one now.

The fun never ends! And to think I used to like this hobby because it was cheaper than drag raceing LOLOLOLOLOLOL WRONG.

Back