• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front D.S. movement at slip-yoke

philagony94xj

NAXJA Forum User
I think there is supposed to be a "little" play in the slip portion of the front shaft, but how much really?

I have checked a few in the JY in the area and they all seem to be much tighter than mine. I think it might have too much play. Will too much play cause some vibes on and off accordingly when on the skinny pedal? And if i take out my front shaft the vibes i have seem to pretty much go away. I just hate to just junk it cause i just put a new CV end on it and balanced a year and a half ago.

I am also going to be starting to install a SYE here in the next month. I have DS out of the JY and i thought it was ok until i checked it for slop just like the one i have on my truck already.

If anyone has had these issues or any insite at all feel free to let the words fly.

Sounds like a definite "could be". :D

Did you try greasing it? Pack some grease on those splines and see if it gets better. Lack of grease will definitely lead to wearing of that blue coating and loosen things up.

Just about every shaft I've had has had a *little* movement there, and you don't want that joint to be super tight, but if you've already ruled out u-joints, straightness, pinion angle, and balancing, it could be the cause of your vibes.

I always keep it packed FULL of grease. I have the truck sitting on the ground at ride height. Then pack it until grease comes out of the little eyelet nearest the front u-joint. If thats not enough then i dont know how to put more in! LOL

I did use a spicer CV joint installed at a driveline shop so that cant be it. I did use a cheap u-joint for the front joint on the shaft. But thats also always well greased.

As for my angles they arent the best but they are acceptable.

I guess having that driveline shop check balancing and straightness wouldnt hurt. And they should be able to tell me if there is too much slop in the DS also.

Thanks for your help sir, i'll keep posted on what i find.

Back