• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Retrofitting an 87 mj with CC

DansGreyMj

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced my mjs steering column and the one i got came out of an 88 with factory cruise control. My question is how hard would it be to make the CC work in my mj, what all parts would I need?

In addition to this, I believe you'll need the control box (look for a yellow plastic thing with holes for adjusting pots in it), and a switch that attaches to the brake pedal, and which I think also involves a vacuum line. As I recall from my 87 XJ, which had non-functioning CC, the wiring connection was kind of an afterthought, with a jumper into the fuse block. CC equipped models included a two-chamber vacuum reservoir, with one chamber dedicated to the CC. If you don't have CC now, you probably don't have the correct reservoir, so it might be cheaper and easier simply to get a second reservoir and mount it elsewhere.

It's possible that Jon "5-90" will have some schematics for this, so at the risk of imposing on another member, you might try PM'ing him if you have no better luck in this thread.

Turn signal arm, Electronic Control unit, vacuum solenoid (right word?), vacuum tanks (located in front of right front wheel, not shure if non A/C XJ's have theese), about a mile of wires, speed sensor, a fair bit of vacuum hose, more wires and some more wires..... and then another ECU becuse the one you got was busted... :)

As I see it a factory cruise retrofit would be cool, but if you really just want cruise without the cool factor then Audiovox makes a kit for under $100.

Don't remember where it-s located right now... Think it's on the speedowire, right behind the speedometer...

I know it's there, because I've checked the signal voltage on the plug that goes into the control unit, with the car on jacks and with the rear wheels spinning....

Audiovox right now for $90 at Amazon.com with free shipping. I didn't read all reviews but they seem to be reasonably good.

Ebay has several going.

Do you have personal experience joe_peters?

Audiovox right now for $90 at Amazon.com with free shipping. I didn't read all reviews but they seem to be reasonably good.

Ebay has several going.

Do you have personal experience joe_peters?

Yeah, used one with the turn signal lever piggyback in my 89 Plymouth Voyager, no problemo.

The model with the dash mount control would be ideal for the xj.

The speed sensor is part of the speedo cable.

I think I may go with the Audiovox stuff because getting the stock stuff to work may be too big of a headache.

Back