• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What gears? 4.0 XJ auto trans with 33 inch tires.

WHEELMAN

NAXJA Forum User
I think I need 4:56's but want to see what you guys think. Its a automatic 4x4 1999 XJ with 118K miles and 33 inch tires. I dont drive the freeway often but would like to be able to do the speed limit. What do you guys think? And what brand do you like?

4.56 x2 its what i run, i wouldnt go any less, i went with yukon.

!!!1!!!1!!!1!!!1!!!1this topic has been covered more frequently than i change underware.

from the FAQ subforum

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101355

so far i have built my rig for 33s eventhough i can only afford 31s right now. i have 4.56 and changed my speedo gear to get it accurate with 33s.

i run 4.88s with 33's and love it. imagine being fully loaded with gear and adding sliders and bumpers roofrack etc.... and wanting that extra gearing going up some steep mountain highway....
im running about 67-72mph around 3000rpm
i enjoy it. you prob wont have any prob with the 4.56's. you need to think that about when you want to go to 35's....

click on the links provided, they also give info on brands. You can also search the forum for gear brands and you will get your answers there as well. If you're looking at a particular brand, search it on here and you will find answers.

Lot's and lot's of posts around hear saying you'll be happiest with 4.88's. 4.56's will work fine with 33's, but so will 4.88's, and you won't like the 4.56's if you ever go to 35's.

I am running Yukon 4.88's w/ 33" tires. I have towed my pop up camper through some mountains without any problems. I am planning on going to 35's in the future. So if you plan on going up in size, do it right the first time.

Whats funny is that this topic is constantly covered and some people still think that there is 1 answer to the question... If your on the highway more and care about economy, gear one way and if you have a dedicated crawler, gear another... You choose.

That chart doesn't seem to accomodate an overdrive.

Using this:

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

4.10's and 33's, aw4

35 mph: 1096 rpm
55 mph: 1722 rpm
70 mph: 2192 rpm

4.56 and 33's, aw4

35 mph: 1219 rpm
55 mph: 1915 rpm
70 mph: 2438 rpm

4.88 and 33's, aw4

35 mph: 1304 rpm
55 mph: 2050 rpm
70 mph: 2609 rpm

4.88's won't be a problem for you. You'll have the most power, the most fun, and probably the best gas mileage as you won't be in the throttle as hard.

Back