• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 231 Transfer Case Problems. Need Advice.

cher96

NAXJA Forum User
The Front Drive Shaft blew right at the U-Joint going into the NP 231 Transfer Case. I removed the Shaft but unfortunately the T.C. is leaking. Both Front and Back Seals are Leaking (I think). The Rear Drive Shaft is fine and it will move Forward but has leaked too much T.C. Fluid to drive. I do have an Extra Front Drive Shaft.

I have never fixed this kind of problem before and need advice. I am lost in what to do and how to do it.

I drive a 96 XJ Country 4 Dr. 4x4 NP231, 4.5 inches of lift.

Thank you.

Are the seals pressed in our can we slide them in?

What would I have to do?

Thanks.

The seals are easy to replace. Remove the yoke, use a good flat blade screw driver to pry out the old seal. To install, lightly tap the new seal in with a soft mallet, while being sure to keep it square. Re-install yoke.

Are you sure your 'leak' isnt from a crack on the T-case? When my front shaft came loose at the t-case, the shaft swung around a hit the t-case cause a giant crack in it. Just clean it up good and make sure its not cracked.

~James

Back