• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Home Brew Motor Mounts?

jimmydaux

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone built their own motor mounts? I saw somewhere that someone was going to use large control arm bushings to fab up their own motor mounts. Ive been brainstorming this for a while and now that Im about to gain access to the garage again, I think im going to give it a shot. Im going to use a stock motor mount, cut it down and weld a peice of steel tubing to it. I will machine this down to fit the bushing. I assume I will have to drill the hole out a bit to fit the motor mount bolt. This will be my attempt to create my own "Bombproof" motor mounts.

Any feedback? Has anyone attempted this or know anyone who has?

Haha, done. Ive had my affirmation ;) thanks 89xj. Any other thoughts? If nothing else, I will fail miserably and it wont work, but ill have a project to keep me busy in the off hours and get some welding fab practice while im at it :)

How can you possibly justify the time to make your own when motor mounts are relatively cheap?

Cracks me up when folks ask questions like this about stuff that no one else has likely done. How are we going to answer? :)

Yeah theyre relatively cheap, but a pain that ive had to replace them twice already in the last year. The ones I have in there have a lifetime warranty too, so the actual cost isnt a prohibitive factor at all. I read somewhere, dont think it was here, that someone actually tried this idea.

Thoughts on the idea are better than nothing, which was why I come to the experts. ;) So goatman, other than the fact that stock mounts are relatively cheap, what do you think about this idea from a conceptual standpoint since im pretty sure no one has tried it. :)

Oh no, I think it's a great idea. I have some that I bought from M.O.R.E., just like a ton of other people around here. I also think there are one or two other places that make them now. :)

They make them using lower control arm bushings, which work great.

Oh seriously? Ill have to check them out. Ive seen them before but I thought they were poly mounts. Just gotta decide if the time is worth the money saved in trying to home brew these.

Jeremy

Yeah theyre relatively cheap, but a pain that ive had to replace them twice already in the last year. The ones I have in there have a lifetime warranty too, so the actual cost isnt a prohibitive factor at all. I read somewhere, dont think it was here, that someone actually tried this idea.

Thoughts on the idea are better than nothing, which was why I come to the experts. ;) So goatman, other than the fact that stock mounts are relatively cheap, what do you think about this idea from a conceptual standpoint since im pretty sure no one has tried it. :)

life time warranty means that the part will fail and it gets you back in the store to buy something else when you return the worn part, i.e. duralast parts.

If nothing else, I will fail miserably and it wont work, but ill have a project to keep me busy in the off hours and get some welding fab practice while im at it
===================================================================
Your right !
I make my own all the time. Not motor mounts but everything else under the sun. Sometimes having to do whatever over 2 or even 3 times. Doing it yourself WILL take longer it may cost more but at the end of the day when I look at my XJ I see 2 names on it. Jeep and mine and I like it that way.

It has been done, there is a thread on here somewhere with a few homebrew mounts, and If i remember correctly it has pictures. If you have the time, and the tools, why not make your own. They seem like a hard thing to mess up if your geometry is the same as the stock mounts. I plan on fabing up a set for myself some time soon, so ill see if i cant find that post.

Cakewalk. I've built 2 sets.... One for me, and one for a buddy...

Use Jeep LCA bushings for the motor mounts, and 93 Mustang rear LCA for the tranny...

bombproof5.jpg

tranny2.jpg

Back