• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Summit Gauges in idiot light cluster

stephenspann27

NAXJA Forum User
Here are a couple of pics of the summit gauges I put in my idiot light cluster.. it took around two hours to clearance.. and rig them to work.. probably not worth it.. but they were only $11 from summit.

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

NICE....if its worth it to you thats all that matters....looks good man!

Man I used to have that cluster in my 88 5 spd.HATED the HUGE fuel gauge.so I swapped in a j yard cluster with tach and gauges I got for 25 bucks!!! Yours looks good though..good job!!!

Man I used to have that cluster in my 88 5 spd.HATED the HUGE fuel gauge.so I swapped in a j yard cluster with tach and gauges I got for 25 bucks!!! Yours looks good though..good job!!!

If I found the cluster.. wouldn't i still have to buy the sending unit.. and.. modify other wiring.. ? I would thinking.. sending unit.. coolant temp sensor.. and I'm not sure how it reads RPM..

Plus mechanical gauges are cool.. :) I'm just missing AMP gauge and tachometer.. not sure how I would put a aftermarket tach on this rig..

I'll still considering the swap.. because my speedometer bounces all over the place.. which is worse after having the cluster out for some reason.. I pulled the speedo cable out and it looks fairly lubricated.. I also took the assemlby out at the T case.. everyting looks fine so I think the speedo it's self is messed up. Also.. my fuel gauge read backwards.. full is empty and vis versa.. but I think that's an issue at the sending unit in the tank.

Something about the newer senders having reversed polarity for the gauge feed. It is possible that somebody put in a newer style pump/sender and did not reverse the sender wiring like they should have. I've heard of that happening before.

the wiring you will not have to touch.just change the sending unit for the oil with a real sending unit and not a switch and the same goes for the coolant temp sensor ask for temp sender for the coolant temp gauge or else some stupid autoparts person will give you one for the computer.dont have to do anything to the fuel tank unit and the tach signal wire is allready in the harness just no place to go with the cluster you have so just plug and play there.As for volt gauge same plug and play.by the way a CORRECT amp gauge will go from the alt staight to the gauge then to the battery.I dont think you wanna do that?

Last edited:
Nah I sure don't.. where is the current coolant temp sensor? Is it the one that is in the radiator? I assumed that was the one that activated the fan..

Also.. where my oil pressure sending unit "switch" was plugged into the oil filter adapter, I have just one green wire.. if I were to have a real OEM oil pressure gauge, would the oil pressure sensor use only one wire?

Now I'm kinda wishing I had saved the time.. and bought a real OEM cluster..

If I got an aftermarket tach.. would I be able to just hook it up to the wire that is in the harness of a OEM tach?

Just did a little research.. and little looks like I can run a "trigger wire" to the coil.. and it will pick up the RPM there.

Last edited:
Also.. no one make fun of the 261K miles on my ODO :)

Nah, that's cool, I hope to have that many someday. I've got 235,000 miles, or, roughly the distance between the earth and the moon.

I found the pink wire that looks like a vacuum line on the back of the head that acts as a temperature sensor. I'd like to put my temp probe there.. but is that the same sensor that activates the aux fan?

You should have 3 sensors then. One at the back of the head for the temp gauge (or idiot light in your case), one on the driver's side of the block for the PCM, and one in the radiator that controls the e-fan.

There were two sensors available from Jeep, one for the idiot light and one for the actual guage. About $14.00 for the actual gauge sensor when I replaced mine....not because I did the cluster swap but because the ceramic on my sensor broke. Are you going to not be using the idiot lights anymore and just the gauges or are you going to use them together in unison or what?

Back