• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best way to fix sun damage?

overflow

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 1990 Wagoneer Limited that I'm trying to restore. It was originally a California car, so it's got quite a bit of sun damage. Is there any "easy" way to fix damage like this? I believe this is caused by the clear coat coming off, right?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53138057@N00/3453791275/

spaceball.gif

Buy a new one. ;) Mine had that real bad, so I spray painted over it. That wasn't the right way, a couple years later and the spray paint looks like that now. I'm repainting it now to tan, and sanding everything down to try to eliminate that peeling, then priming it and painting.

Was afraid you might say that. Well, a new paint job on it would be like putting a ribbon on a turd, so I think I'll try the $50 paint job when it gets warmer. Gonna be a pain in the ass to tape up all that chrome.

One quick fix that will work. Take a paint scraper (preferably new and sharpe) and very carefully scrape the white dead paint back into the good clear. The base paint is very thin so take your time. Use 400 to 600 grit sand paper to feather the edges. Again, don't touch the base coat. Then use a medium compound and buff out the whole surface. It won't look like a new paint job, but will have a good shine and from 10 feet away you won't be able to tell the difference.

I have a 95 black heap and just did this. Let me tell you, it made a world of a difference. Plan on spending a weekend doing it.

^ this also helps prevent further lifting and spreading. With sharp edges, wind, water, sunlight, contaminates, will all peel the paint away like a wrapper. By feathering the edges you eliminate any "corner" in the clear that can easily be grabbed an pulled farther.

Back