• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spring noise on new lift

Curtis_H

NAXJA Forum User
So two weekends ago I installed a Rubicon Express 3.5" lift on my 87 waggy and now I am getting spring noise when I go over large bumps. Spring noise as in groans and creaks, coming from up front only. What could this be? Doesn't look like the swaybar links are rubbing, and the coils seem to be seated properly, but I don't know.....

did you do anything about the trac bar? could be some bushings or a number of other things, eveything is at a different angle know so who knows! did you get longer shocks??

longer shocks, relocated trackbar over 3/4" like the rubi directions said

No answers? its getting worse, and i cant for the life of me find out what is causing it......

Springs don't make noise. They can rub on something, but then you should see evidence of the interference. Does it make the noise when you're stopped and turn the wheel back and forth? If so, you can move your hand around while someone is turning the wheel and you should be able to feel the noise.

Is it a pop, or a squeek, or a groan? It's hard to hear noises online...... :)

its a creak, kind of like old leaf springs with no sliders.......and only when i compress the springs, like in a dip or bump, but also if i flex them slow, but i cannot see where they are rubbing. I realize springs dont make noise.......but they are into something and I cant find out what.

Just to add, sorry I know the title is confusing, im just saying that the noise sounds like old bedsprings or something, not that the springs are making noise themselves, sorry....

jsut spray each bushing with a teflon spray until the squeek goes away :gee: you could lift the front with a jack, then drop the front end so it squeeks kinda like a speed bump, so basically lift the front, spray a bushing with like teflon lube or something with viscosity... then drop it, if it does it, move to the next bushing... do it until it stops and thats the one rubbing, then that way you know which one's squeeks, and if it squeeks again just spray it again or fix the problem... idk, thats what i would do.

That's what I'd do, spray lube on various parts and see if the noise goes away. The noise that typically comes from front springs is the inside of the coil hitting on the lip around the bumpstop. As the axle drops out and moves rearward the coil can rub on that lip. The fix is to grind off the lip. But, that usually makes more of a popping sound as the coil slids past the lip. That's why I said to look at the coil for signs of wear if it's rubbing on something.

Just to add, sorry I know the title is confusing, im just saying that the noise sounds like old bedsprings or something, not that the springs are making noise themselves, sorry....

to me by the description of the sound, it sounds to me like a dry bushing, or a really clean one in your case.. yanno " squeeky clean" comes to mind, if you lube it, it will get rid of the friction and keep it from squeeking i think, thats why everywhere i read, it says to lube your sway bar bushings before installing them to keep them from sticking and squeeking.

turned out to be the spring retainer clamps had worked loose and the springs were shifting around on the perch and making a little noise. Tightented them back up, sprayed a little slip plate around the perch and voila!! no more noise. thanks for all of your suggestions

Back