• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1st Gear Lock-out Install

Flyfisher

NAXJA Forum User
Like many others...I hate it when my AW4 decides to down-shift to 1st when in 4-low. It's enough to throw me into the dash (if I wasn't wearing the seatbelt). Anyway, I found this link http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/ that showed how to force the TCU to keep the transmission in 2nd gear. I did the mod last night.

Now, it seems that even with the switch off (supposed to same as stock) it seems to skip 2nd and go from 1st to 3rd on accelleration. Like 2nd isn't even available anymore. With the switch on and gear selector in the 1-2 position, I have 2nd gear...just like the write-up said.

Anyone else do this mod and have similar results? Any other ideas? Is this mod incorrect for my XJ.

'89 Wagoneer Limited (XJ), 4.0 L, AW4 with NP242. Other things like lifts and tires probably don't matter to the problem at hand.

Thanks in advance!!!

did u splice into the wiring harness, or did u cut the wire, because the wire still needs to be conected like the factory had it.

I actually plan to do the same, but for TC lockup, 1, 2 ,and 3 gears.

OK...got home tonight and played detective. Found out it was the switch that was the problem. I disconnected all wires from the switch and tranny worked just as stock. Then I connected only the power (Yellow wire on pin D16) and solenoid wire (violet/white on pin C15) to the "power" and "load" switch conections, respectively. Tranny worked just as advertised...2nd gear lock worked perfect, and when switch was off, everything worked as stock.

So, either it's a bad switch, or connecting the "ground" terminal to a chassis ground (to activate the light in the switch) somehow mess things up.

My advice...don't bother with a lighted switch and stick with a simple two pin switch.

Thanks for the help...and any further ideas would be appreciated (I liked the idea of a lighted switch).

Back