• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hitch help...reese

avenom

NAXJA Forum User
I found a hitch on CL for my 99 XJ. Ad says it fits 84-01.
It's reese # 44088
I've searched around, and am getting conflicting answers. Some websites say it fits the 99, and some say it doesn't.
Does anyone have this model # on their XJ? I'd like to buy it asap if it does fit!
thanks!!!

Any Jeep Cherokee XJ hitch will fit any Cherokee. Just make sure to use a Cherokee specific hitch like in the picture. A hitch that fits more than one brand or model of vehicle is usually bolt together and hangs down low enough to plow corn fields for planting.

standard.jpg

This one is listed for cherokee's and Wagoneers...
So basically if it is straight across then I'm good?
I've seen ones that look like this... where it dips in the middle.
Professional.jpg

According to the reese website the flat ones are class II, and the dipy ones are class III. I need class III

Last edited:
Draw Tite hitches are straight across, Class II (1.25" box) or Class III (2.0" box).

Reese does make a bolt together, "universal" hitch that fits Ford, XJ Cherokee, and something else. The 2" receiver box hangs down about 6 inches below the bumper. :doh:

I have a 99 and I need a hitch too.

What's a good one that uses all the bolts? I've noticed that some only use 2 per side.

So far these look good http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-1996_Jeep_Cherokee.htm

But which is the best?

I would avoid a Class III hitch that uses four bolts for mounting--maybe that was a Class II ( 1.25" ) you saw.

Anyway, Class III is, well, Class III. There are two different load ratings in your listing, 3500 and 5000. Just figure the heaviest load your are going to pull and get the appropriate hitch. As stated earlier in this thread you could plow 40 acres with some hitches that hang low. I prefer a hitch that is tight up against the bumper and use various stingers for drop if needed.

But which of the Class III ones linked is best? Notice that the Valley has the reciever at the same height as the crossbar, but the crossbar doesn't appear to be dropped down to compensate.

...Class III is, well, Class III....

The e-trailer link shows the 4 brand name hitches that are most commonly installed on Cherokees. Pick one.

I have the Valley hitch pictured and the 2" receiver box is 1/4" below the stock bumper.

Last edited:
The e-trailer link shows the 4 brand name hitches that are most commonly installed on Cherokees. Pick one.

I have the Valley hitch pictured and the 2" receiver box is 1/4" below the stock bumper.

So your receiver hole is inline with the crossbar?

I wonder if those other ones listed have the crossbar tucked up behind the bumper, or if they're in the same position with the reciever even lower.

Can't tell from the pics, and they might just be generic ones:
V73610_3.jpg

13084_2_500.jpg

Can't get a direct link to the Hidden Hitch but it does seem to tuck up-- click the view larger link.
http://www.etrailer.com/pc-H~87591.htm?vehicleid=19964646
Only has 3 bolt holes...

Last edited:
Back