• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.4L motor swap vibration problem

dogman

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I have just about completed my the motor swap - 95 Fuel Injected Camaro 3.4L V6 in to my 86 XJ. The Camaro motor is rebuilt and runs well and is hooked up to the original XJ automatic trans.

Even though I have had the flex-plate neutrally balanced - I'm getting an engine vibration - any tips and ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks

motor/tranny mounts?
is it running on all cylinders for sure?

thats the extent of my ideas, sorry!

martin

Thanks guys, the motor itself is running very well - I'll check the motor and tranny mounts to be sure and, if nothing else, will ponder raising a mullet :)

I have also disconnected the torque converter to take the tranny out of the mix and the vibration is still there - using an electric fan as well.

not trying to sound like a smart ass, wasthe flex plate drilled correctly for the torque convertor, have u tried unbloting the torque convertor and seeing if it goes away?, would tell u where it is, motor or trans let us know what u find

Git er dun yet?
mullet8.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions guys - the flex plate was correctly drilled for the torque converter but I have also disconnected the motor from the tq and tranny to remove that potential source. The 3.4L v6 is a 60 degree motor from a '95 Camaro. My next step is to take a real hard look at the motor and tranny mounts

I'd say take that POS chevy motor out and put a real power house 4.0 HO
back in and be done with it!!!

Cracked
Head
Every
Valve
Rattle
Oil
Leak
Every
Time

:flame:

Thanks for the suggestions guys - the flex plate was correctly drilled for the torque converter but I have also disconnected the motor from the tq and tranny to remove that potential source. The 3.4L v6 is a 60 degree motor from a '95 Camaro. My next step is to take a real hard look at the motor and tranny mounts

Yeah, also check if your balancer on the front is still intact... if the engine is running smoothly, then it's probably something just rattling around externally.

most of all, post pics! I wanna see the beast!

perhaps it is trembling from intimidation from being surrounded by REAL parts for once?? It is used to a camaro bay after all, could be culture shock from seeing actual quality.....Check the harmonic balancer, and also the torque converter hardware. How long has the engine sat? could be sticky injector, or maybe even bad gas in the jeep tank? I have had both cause me grief....

What are you feeding it for fuel pressure? I know those are finicky on fuel pressure and something as little as 5psi lower than spec can cause a misfire. Speaking of misfires, what are you using to control injector pulses? Are you using the GM ECM out of the Camaro? Aftermarket controller? How did you interface your XJ wiring to your GM fuel injection system on that engine? Does the vibration correlate to engine speed?

My money's either on a misfire, or when that engine was rebuilt somebody jacked it up and you've got something wrong with the crank or the rods causing an imbalance.

Back