• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no start/possible fuel pump problems

sumofatguy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '93 xj, 317km on it

Driving home from class today, my jeep just stalled on me and wouldn't start back up. It would turn over just fine, but absolutely no firing at all, even letting it sit and cool down for a while. I have previously installed a fuel pump shutoff switch, and I get 0V at the switch as its turning over. The fuse is fine as is the relay (i'm assuming) since I switched that out with a spare from another jeep here, and its still a no-go. For diagnostic of the fuel pump, i ran a 12V feed from the battery to the load side of my cut off switch, and I heard my fuel pump kick in and start pumping. Turning the key, however, I can't hear the pump at all. I just installed a new TPS ~8mo ago, so I find that unlikely... What else should I be looking at? Thanks

Last edited:
So that part is good. Now when I asked where the switch was, I meant what wire it is in. My guess is that it is in the wire between the relay and the pump. When you put power to the switch, the pump runs. So something went wrong between the relay and the switch. Check the connection where the wire to the switch was spliced into the vehicle harness. Have you tried jumping around your switch in case it just went bad?

So that part is good. Now when I asked where the switch was, I meant what wire it is in. My guess is that it is in the wire between the relay and the pump. When you put power to the switch, the pump runs. So something went wrong between the relay and the switch. Check the connection where the wire to the switch was spliced into the vehicle harness. Have you tried jumping around your switch in case it just went bad?

yes i checked that, because when i originally checked for voltage at the pump, it was really at the feed side of the switch. The switch is between the relay and the pump, yes

I wasn't given a 'check engine' light originally, but I just checked the codes (the old fashion way - key on/off), i was give a code 32 i believe which is:

32 (1990-92) computer didn't see change in air/'fuel ratio when EGR activated - check valve, vacuum lines, and EGR electrical

what does this mean?

well in case anyone is wondering, I swapped out the CKP (crank position sensor) and it started right away and is now running fine.

Thanks for all the help!

Back