• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding overdrive off switch

Its called third gear, aka '3' on the shifter.

That sure is an easy way to do it...I just went and check the Grand,it has 2 and 1 instead of 3 and 2 like the xj, I gues the switch on the Grand is from avoiding a straight downshift from fourth gear into second...thanks

yeah, I drive my '89 around mostly in "3" because it shifts into 4th too early - around here its hilly and twisty roads though but on the highway for instance I use "D"

yeah, I drive my '89 around mostly in "3" because it shifts into 4th too early - around here its hilly and twisty roads though but on the highway for instance I use "D"

Absolutely, I also think it shifts to fourth to quickly, we drive kind of fast down here,even if I step on the gas the downshift doesn't last long enough when overpassing cars in the highway sometimes...in the Grand I often turn the OD off switch for that purpose, then go back to normal...It's good to know that I could do that just by going to 3 in the XJ...

Absolutely, I also think it shifts to fourth to quickly, we drive kind of fast down here,even if I step on the gas the downshift doesn't last long enough when overpassing cars in the highway sometimes...in the Grand I often turn the OD off switch for that purpose, then go back to normal...It's good to know that I could do that just by going to 3 in the XJ...
are you running bigger than stock tires? mine doesnt do to bad with my 235/75's, but maybe a regear for you would fix that problem?

Its called third gear, aka '3' on the shifter.
you beat me to it =D... stupid work letting me off so late!

are you running bigger than stock tires? mine doesnt do to bad with my 235/75's, but maybe a regear for you would fix that problem?

you beat me to it =D... stupid work letting me off so late!

Nop ,I'm on 235/75 also...I'm about to the replace the cat, if it's clogged I read here that it might be affecting acceleration..plus I have the downside of an armored car: The 400 pounds of additional weight,gets worse when there are passengers on board on top of that, of course...

I saw your pictures. Are you sure that only weighs 400 pounds extra. Looks more like 4000. (LOL) Do you have real gas or are you on ethanol? My stocker accelerates pretty good. Kicks down nice when accelerating too.

I saw your pictures. Are you sure that only weighs 400 pounds extra. Looks more like 4000. (LOL) Do you have real gas or are you on ethanol? My stocker accelerates pretty good. Kicks down nice when accelerating too.

Ha Ha,at least that is what I've been told....I use real gas,final speed is good (180 km ),a little slugish when accelerating ,but what I just learned here about switching to 3 on the transmission I think will do the trick

Grand's uses different trans than Cherokee's so 3rd might be different in a Grand than a Cherokee. I use 3rd all the time because 31's and 3.55 and Auto trans.. its little sluggish it goes but Im not the one to rev it out to 3500k ever time i want to get on the highway.

Ha Ha,at least that is what I've been told....I use real gas,final speed is good (180 km ),a little slugish when accelerating ,but what I just learned here about switching to 3 on the transmission I think will do the trick

i think maybe in your case, you could use a cold air intake, headers new cat and muffler and enlarge the piping to 2.5 from the cat back =D

i think maybe in your case, you could use a cold air intake, headers new cat and muffler and enlarge the piping to 2.5 from the cat back =D
Maxx,I kind of experimented on my own cold air intake...i driiled a hole undeneath the filter box and sealed the box air intake,now I'm getting cold air from the outside instead of the hot air from the engine,I'm waiting to get the new cat,I might try your suggestion on the piping though,thanks for the tip

Armored XJ? I'd love to see!
Blaine, ther is not much that gives it away ,except for the very thick window glasses when you roll them down basically,but I've been surprised at gas stations when they clean your windshield some guys figure it out cause if it's a little dirty on the inside somehow they can see the"distance" between outside and inside dirt...The body armor are kevlar panels inside the body,so you won't see them...by the way they are cheaper here than in the States somehow..

DSC00985.jpg
[/IMG]

I've never even heard of an armored XJ before. Did you buy it this way on purpose or just a coincidence?

On your cold air intake, did you put a hole through the fender beneath the air box and one through the air box itself?

I've never even heard of an armored XJ before. Did you buy it this way on purpose or just a coincidence?

On your cold air intake, did you put a hole through the fender beneath the air box and one through the air box itself?

I bought it on purpose,I live in Southamerica, armor companies will armor any car...on the intake I did as you say,through the fender into the box...

I was thinking about doing something like that, but I went with a different intake. I will probably drill some holes though the header panel behind the head lamp in my case as my box is opened to the front

Hmm, put it in 3rd... Anyway, I suppose if one was bent on making an OD off switch, it could be done. You'd make a switch that connects the D shift input wire to the sol2 wire. When the switch is on it would power solenoid 2, switching the trans to 3rd, and since it comes from the D position input it would only work when the handle is in D. But i'd just put it in 3rd, as this would probably make it start in 2nd if you left the switch on :D

Last edited:
Hmm, put it in 3rd... Anyway, I suppose if one was bent on making an OD off switch, it could be done. You'd make a switch that connects the D shift input wire to the sol2 wire. When the switch is on it would power solenoid 2, switching the trans to 3rd, and since it comes from the D position input it would only work when the handle is in D. But i'd just put it in 3rd, as this would probably make it start in 2nd if you left the switch on :D

Thanks Kid, but I went for a drive on 3 yesterday and that does it just fine for me...can't believe the solution was so easy,I'm happy now...I also have a 93' ZJ wich has the od off switch ,but i noticed the transmission doesn't have a 3 position but 2 and 1, is that the reason it comes with the switch?

Thanks Kid, but I went for a drive on 3 yesterday and that does it just fine for me...can't believe the solution was so easy,I'm happy now...I also have a 93' ZJ wich has the od off switch ,but i noticed the transmission doesn't have a 3 position but 2 and 1, is that the reason it comes with the switch?

Yes. :) Our WJ has the same. OD comes off when climbing hills or towing, for the most part.

Back