• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Random downshifting w/ AW4

mrtosh

NAXJA Forum User
I have an '01 w/a AW4 and about 118k miles on the clock. Occasionaly when coming to a stop or coasting (in 3rd) the trans will downshift to second almost like it's being manually downshifted and engine break until I either hit the gas/brake or the jeep speed is increased naturally rolling down a hill. I haven't ever really driven this jeep in OD around town since I've had it only about 2 months and it has 33's and 3.55 gears. Otherwise it upshifts perfectly and downshifts like it should under pedal pressure. Like I said it doesn't do it all the time just random. No MIL or any other symptoms. TPS? NSS maybe? Nature of the beast?

I was thinking maybe the TPS was getting hung up while slowing down since foot is off the pedal and it's slowing down thinking there's a load at a certain speed and needs to downshift..?

My XJ have been doing that all its life. So do many other vehicles with automatic transmission. They do that when slowing down with your foot off the breaks. The speed dictates a lower gear and with your foot off the dreak pedal which would have neutralized the transmission it simply selects the next lower gear.

I notce mine when it shifts into 2nd gear anf the engine reacts ever so alightly. I notice it more by hearing than by feeling (compeared to a manual transmission). The RPM guage hardly ever shows an increase in RPM's. Mine is more noticable to the ear now that a FM-50 and 2.5" pipe is installed all the way back. However, if my foot is on the breaks it is not noticable.

MY $0.02

Understandable. All autos downshift when coming to a stop but mine will actually hold the gear like it was manually downshifted. The revs will jump to about 2200 and engine break from there unless I hit the brake or give it gas.

Back